Automated front Gate lock options ? UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone might be able to point me in the rights direction.

I currently have a wrought iron gate to my house which is just operated by a manual handle and latch ( no lock whatsoever ), I would like to upgrade this so the latch can only be opened by a button inside the house and also only by a key or fob when I get home...I would also need a button a few feet away from the gate on the inside for when I want to leave....you can easily put your hand through the gate, so the new latch can't be manually operated by a latch/lever/knob on the inside otherwise someone could just override it.

A basic electric buzzer type one would be great to start with but if one does exist that allows me to also open it over the internet then that would be even better as I have a Ring Doorbell Pro

As mentioned I have already installed a Ring Doorbell Pro and Ring does recommend various locks that integrate but I can't see anything that really integrates that well onto an external gate that gets rained on.

An electric gate that is motorized would be an even bigger bonus but maybe that is just dreamland.

Any ideas would be really appreciated as I've been looking on and off for a few months now but really can't find what I want and don't want to just hand a few £1000 over to a gate company that would eat my bank account for breakfast :)

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Two points to consider

(1) What about emergency services getting access to the property if the gate is locked shut.

(2) Why involve the internet and other "exotic" items when you want a simple and reliable means to lock and un-lock the gate.

Two points to consider

(1) What about emergency services getting access to the property if the gate is locked shut.

(2) Why involve the internet and other "exotic" items when you want a simple and reliable means to lock and un-lock the gate.

True but my front door will also be locked so emergency services would have to kick that down anyway, and the internet would be great as I can give slected people access to the gas meter and so on via an interview on the Ring Door Bell first, the motorized option is a bonus...but not essential if I lose reliability and it's not cost effective but if a good solid reliable option exists using the motorized option i.e it holds the gate shut without a complicated lock/latch as part of the install then that could be worth the extra price.

I'd prefer not to discount anything at this stage :)

Photo of gate may help with what devices to suggest and distance from house.

Sponsored Links
I bought a door bell from Mr Doorbell which had an intercom system built in and a door release option, it seems there are many door release units working on 12 volt, but non would fit our door, idea was so my late mother could tell callers she was in a wheel chair and it would take time for her to answer the door, it was a failure, people just did not seem to want to talk to a disembodied voice, and often the receiver for door bell was further away than the door.

Seems daft, but people would wait when they can hear movement or see something happening, but if they can't see or hear something within a minute they will write out a card and take the parcel back to there depot and wait for you to collect it. The door bell we got seems great, as it would connect to cordless phone as one option, but we found it would only connect to one phone, not all four, so getting to the unit in time was a problem. Yes it was cordless and could be carried with you, but one simply does not carry it around as it needs charging at some time.

If it connected to your mobile maybe it would work better, but I once I get home put mobile on charge so again answering in time so Postman does not drive off is a problem.

The magnets used for holding open doors, which auto switch off with a fire are quite strong, a really good tug and you can over come them, but I know a few care home that had them on front doors, and most people did not realise they could over come them so never tried, advantage was door released with power cut or fire so no problem with egress with a fire or power cut, seems the electric lock had a problem as when there was a power cut they could not open door.

Had same with father-in-laws garage door, consumer unit in garage and only way to enter garage was with the electric door, could not believe anyone would have fitted a door which was only access to consumer unit that needed electric to open.

So a pad on gate which the magnet in floor will draw down against spring pressure, yes crow bar could lift it, but unlikely any one would try. I used the magnets on a concrete block making machine with water all around, and they seems to survive, as to if you can get ready made I don't know? But do consider the parcel post they do not wait around, it can be a real pain collecting them later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back