Automated Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the correct section, but here goes ...

Looking to re-wire my whole house from scratch - including the consumer unit, all lights, sockets, etc.

The requirement is for intelligent lighting. I want to use standard UK size light switches (not the US size), be able to control the lights via remote control, PC, internet, iphone, etc.

Has anyone come across such lighting. If it means running special cables or similar, then I can accommodate this. The one thing I am not willing to do is use technology such as Creston whereby an installer has to program everything - I wish to be able to do this myself.

One more thing, the everyday usage (turning on / off) must be simple to use - the wife and technology do not get along ....

Sponsored Links
One of the members here has built his own, also has a website about it.
Sure he will be about soon

Sponsored Links
x10 and some iphone app will work.. have a google..

Sorry, I should have mentioned - no X10. Yes, it's cheap but it's not the last word is reliability. Also, every manufacturer is different and the operating / programming logic is not the most consistent.

I have had X10 for a few years now with about 40 lights / appliances being controlled. Works most of the days, but sometimes if the sockets are a bit far away from the controller, they don't always react.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hey toasty - looks very impressive.

I don't think that I would have the patience and programming know-how. You must be very proud.

I was think of something more off the shelf - like Clipsal's C-Bus or Niko or Z-Wave, etc.

Looking to re-wire my whole house from scratch - including the consumer unit, all lights, sockets, etc.
What sort of competence do you have for all of that?

The requirement is for intelligent lighting. I want to use standard UK size light switches (not the US size), be able to control the lights via remote control, PC, internet, iphone, etc.
I'm curious about that. I can see the point of remote control switches, i.e. the same idea as a remote control for a TV, and I can just about see the point of automated scene-setting, but what's the attraction in being able to control the lights from somewhere else in the world via phone/internet?

for your house to appear occupied while on hiliday, rather that the table lamp on the landing coming on at 8 and going off at 12 for two weeks?

Some local randomisation could take care of that - no need to be tapping on your laptop in your hotel bedroom....

What sort of competence do you have for all of that?

Extremely competent but not an electrician. However, before the real electricians let loose on me, I won't be doing this myself. I need to spec it however so I know what I'm getting. The actual work will be open to tender.

but what's the attraction in being able to control the lights from somewhere else in the world via phone/internet?

Aaah - you obviously don't have a scatterbrained family!!!! The number of times I come home and the lights have been left on .......?????!!!!

I suppose if you had cameras set up, you could remotely turn the lights on and check all ok, whilst on holiday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back