Wireless Lighting Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

am doing renovation on my house and intend to use wireless lighting control. could you please recommend a few brands / products that you feel good about?

the main intention of using wireless lighting control is to reduce costs on rewiring should we need more than one switch (i.e. 2 or 3 switches in different places in the house to control lighting).

if you understand how wireless lighting control works, could you please advise me:

1). i want to install 12 downlights in my living room. would like to separate them into two groups (6+6). i want different switches to control each group. do i have to connnect a wifi signal receiver on the back of each downlights?
2). can i install 2 switches (at different places in the house) to control the same group of lights without rewiring? (i.e. remotely control)
3). when i turn on the lights by using a remote control, must i turn it off by remote control too? or i can use light switch on the wall to turn the lightings off?

many thanks if any experts can explain a bit of mechanism of wireless lighting to me. quite new to this technology - so would like to figure out whether that's the right thing for our house.

thank you very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
An alternative is to use ELV ( 12 volt ) switches controlling relays that switch the 230 volt supply to the lamps.

This panel controls four lamps as simple ON OFF with the toggle switches and the buttons provide other more complex functions via a 12 core alarm cable and a bank of relays.

The motivation for me was to remove the need to chase into wattle and daub walls and thus keep the Conservation Officer happy.

Wireless was an option but avoided for two reasons.

[a] some of the walls are 2 foot thick stone and wireless does not work reliably through them

activity on the 433 MHz channel used by home automation is very high and lost commands are already affecting a heating control system in a nearby house.

See "Similar Topics" at the bottom of the page. RF seems to favour the GET stuff. Pricey but good.

I'm sure he'll sniff by soon.

Sponsored Links
W-DMX uses the 2.4GHz band.

Roll your own? Raspberry Pis + wifi dongles as receivers? Or all lights wired back to a central location with a controller there?

Or all lights wired back to a central location with a controller there?
Basically yes but in this cottage more than one "central" controller. Uses a PIC processor, 24 inputs and 32 outputs controlling relays. TImers and multiway switching facility. Flexible configuration via a laptop. Lamps can be paired and for dimming connected in series. ( not for energy efficient lights )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back