lighting automation

I am glad to hear you were aware of the problem. I have also in the past wired up some non standard systems. But I now am very careful to follow standard wiring as it has in the past it caused a few problems where those who have followed me have not been able to work out what I have done.

Surely documentation is your friend here - provide a full set of schematics and an accompanying descriptive write up and ensure all cables are labelled both ends and any competent sparky should be able to follow it.

Dream on! I have interviewed many an electrician who could not read drawings correctly pointing to a reversing contactor they tell me it's star/delta start. And countless problems with Y plan central heating! And unlike when I employed an electrician the normally house holder has no idea to if they are top notch or 6 week wonder.

Sponsored Links
Plus we see here, not infrequently, posts from people who don't regard poor literacy and numeracy as being in any way incompatible with being an electrician...

Plus we see here, not infrequently, posts from people who don't regard poor literacy and numeracy as being in any way incompatible with being an electrician...

We do, indeed, and if it was up to me they'd be disqualified (literally). Reading and producing docs and schematics should be part of 2330 etc. and if someone can't manage it, they can go be a roadsweeper as we don't have enough of them.

For my part, when I get a quote/estimate from a tradesperson, if it shows poor spelling and grammar, or unclear wording or figures, it is a big negative when I am deciding who to give the business to, unless I already know the person concerned and know they are up to the job.

I guess I should add that 95% of my work involves reading, writing and reviewing highly technical documentation and diagrams, so I may be unusually sensitive to this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back