AV amplifier

T

toasty

Chaps,

I want a new AV amp to replace my ageing sherwood one.

I've probably got £500 or so to spend, but would be happy to spend more for the right item.

What I want is an amp that can swith a lot of inputs as my TV is just a plasma panel with one input only, so I use the amp to switch the inputs.

Ideally I'd like Sky, Telewest, Wii, Video Camera, DVD, cctv

Does anyone do a AV amp with 6 or more inputs? Most I've seen seem to have 4ish.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
What kind of input does this TV have?

Do you have any kind of recording equipment in this setup? if not then you should be able to save inputs by chaining some of the equipment (most modern equipment will pass through from one scart socket to the other when turned off)

Good point re the passthrough , yes I have a DVD recorder in the mix, that's all. (I use Sky+ most of the time)

As for the tv (well monitor) it can do composite, s vid, component or HDMI/DVI

have a look at the denon website, i have one and rate it well. I brought mine as it won the 'what hifi' best av amp.

Infact, go and buy a copy of 'what hifi', it has all the info you will need

Sponsored Links
If you want to use most of the equipment via HDMI connections then this will limit you selection, also some models will switch the video from HDMI but dome seam to pick up the audio from it so you would still need your fiber or coax fro digital audio

I'd go for an Onkyo TX-SR607. 6 HDMI inputs, proper HDMI switching, proper high-definition audio support, proper amplifier.

Most importantly, in your case, is that it's also got component and composite video switching so it will deal with all your current video sources and upconvert them to HDMI for your plasma panel.

I've had various home cinema amps over the years, mostly Yamaha. I've been happy with all of them but I would definitely buy another Onkyo!

some models will switch the video from HDMI but dome seam to pick up the audio

Not to mention that some sources try and palm off an LPCM stream as a proper implementation of TrueHD...

*Cough* *Playstation 3* *cough* :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back