Avoiding `blistering` when painting lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me any tips on how to avoid blistering or air bubbles when emultioning on top of lining paper - or how to deal with , if they happen , thanks

Sponsored Links
It is a nightmare trying to control blistering of lining paper. My advice is strip all lining paper and re-line. Make sure you seal/size walls prior to applying lining paper and make sure you have enough paste on lining paper and make sure you correctly brush all lining paper onto walls with papering brush. Then you not get any blistering once emulsioned over.

hmmm !!! seems a bit drastic ! - I havent actually emultioned it yet - just lined it . Hopefully I`ve done an o.k. job - just wondered if theres any way of reducing the risk of bubbling by the way you put the paint on . for example is it better to do a thinned down coat first - for example ????

Sponsored Links
So have you actually got the air bubbles in it yet or not?

Cause if you have, they wont go away by painting it...or very rarely.

not really , just one or two on the corner of the chimney - breast , I seem to remember dealing with these in the past , by slitting the bubble with a stanley knife , then pasting in the gap - does this sound feasible ?

You shouldn't be having a problem with bubbles in lining paper.
If you are it means that you didn't hang it correctly in the first place, (one example) - you should have soaked it for a decent length of time.

If it's bubbled before you've emulsioned it....then it's definitely been hung incorrectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back