Need help solving tiny and larger blisters on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, I'm painting my room walls and getting tiny blisters on many areas of one wall. The other 3 walls seem to be free of any blisters.
I originally wallpapered the walls then decided to take the paper off. It left residue paster so tried to clean that off. Then someone said to pva 50% water to seal in the left over paste. Obviously big mistake so I sanded them down and applied gardz primer sealer. Them gave a few coats of contractor emulsion white as under coat. Not the best stuff but too late. So you can see I have had a nightmare finishing this room ☹
So back to the blisters, I treated this wall exactly the same as the others. I noticed the blistering when wet paint is applied as it appears flat when dry. It blistered more when I applied the vinyle emulsion over the contractor undercoat. Could it be the original paint on the wall reacting to the dampness of the paint?

Attachments

• WP_20161029_20_13_11_Rich.jpg
    WP_20161029_20_13_11_Rich.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 276
Sponsored Links
Looks like that's whats happening maybe you got so much contract emulsion - it has no vinyl in it - built up that the final vinyl is "livening " up the contract paint . PVA should carry a warning on the tin. As it's one wall you could sand the lot back and Zin it again

Hey Nige, yeah I can see that being the reason, though I applied the exact amount of CE to the other walls, exactly the same process so I'm confused with it.

I think I have enough experience to know exactly what to not do for the next rooms :D I noticed the blister areas are taking longer to dry out. I'm going to try sanding the blister bits only and just go over them with the top coat vinyl emulsion rather than undercoating with the contractor stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back