Avoiding drilling pipes behind bathroom tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to hang a toilet-roll holder in my newly built bathroom and I'll have to drill through tiles.

I'll be drilling about 6 inches from the side of the cistern and, on the other side, about 6 inches from the screen of a walk-in shower.

Can I assume that bit of the wall will be clear of pipes? Or do I need to invest in a stud detector? And what if pipes are plastic?

(Apologies for the newbie questions!)

Sponsored Links
Contact the fitters and ask?

Or if loft above go look where pipes are running

Contact the fitters and ask?

Or if loft above go look where pipes are running
Yes, good idea, I'll try asking the plumber. Although it was over 6 months ago that it was fitted.

Unfortunately I can't look in the loft because the bathroom is in the loft conversion!

Sponsored Links
Won't they be cavity walls?

You would be extremely unlucky to drill through a pipe in a cavity wall.

To begin with, you need to drill through the tile. If ceramic tiles, a cheap arrow head drill bit will suffice, if porcelain, you will need a diamond drill bit.

Again, assuming that it is a cavity wall, you will only have about another 10mm (of plasterboard) or so after the tile to drill through. If you are feeling particularly cautious, keep pulling the drill bit back as you drill, as soon as it eventually pops through, push the screw in, if it doesn't hit anything, you are fine. The insert the plug and screw in the fitting.

(Edit........ I typed fulling rather then pulling)

Last edited:
Or invest in a tube of Gripfill or similar

Gripfill to hold a loo roll holder in place? With respect (and I genuinely do mean respect- having read your previous posts), I really don't see that lasting very long, particular with a fitting that isn't specifically designed to be glued on. And how will the OP secure it whilst the adhesive cures?

Won't they be cavity walls?

You would be extremely unlucky to drill through a pipe in a cavity wall.

To begin with, you need to drill through the tile. If ceramic tiles, a cheap arrow head drill bit will suffice, if porcelain, you will need a diamond drill bit.

Again, assuming that it is a cavity wall, you will only have about another 10mm (of plasterboard) or so after the tile to drill through. If you are feeling particularly cautious, keep fulling the drill bit back as you drill, as soon as it eventually pops through, push the screw in, if it doesn't hit anything, you are fine. The insert the plug and screw in the fitting.
Thank you! I was hoping to hear some advice like this.

The wall is the exterior wall at the rear of the new loft dormer, so they must be cavity walls, right?

Gripfill to hold a loo roll holder in place? With respect (and I genuinely do mean respect- having read your previous posts), I really don't see that lasting very long, particular with a fitting that isn't specifically designed to be glued on. And how will the OP secure it whilst the adhesive cures?
Looking at the fitting, I think you're right. It's designed to be screwed on so there's isn't much surface that will be in contact with the tiles.

All fair points- i'm not a big fan of miracle glues but they do have their uses. Possibly not in this case if the contact patch is tiny.....
Problem will be getting any sort of effective cavity fixing through a small (6mm?) hole in a tile. A studfinder (or one of those ridiculously powerful small magnets on a string) might be the way forward.
Think someone mentioned it above - there's the tile thickness plus board thickness (12.5mm) to go through so tile bit for the tile, masonry bit (not on hammer) for adhesive and backer board then push the screw (or a bit of wire) through and see what you hit at required screw length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back