Avoiding paper shrinkage gaps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next stage in the decorating task is the wallpapering, the end is in sight!

I've papered before, so not a complete novice. Whats the best way to avoid unsightly shrinkage gaps between strips of paper, if they are to occur at all? The paper we are using is quite highly textured, unpasted stuff.

Chris

Sponsored Links
A lot of good embossed papers come with a backing paper already fitted to avoid any stretching of the paper when pasting and hanging, if your paper does not have this feature then a problem lies when you apply the paste, you really need to apply the same amount of paste to each hang, leave to soak for the same amount of time for each hang and not to flatten the embosing when brushing in, years ago I purchased a heavily embosed paper without backing and I could not get it to hang without stretching, two other people who had been hanging paper for years could not get it right either, it turned out so bad that in the end I tore down what I had put up and put up a different paper, taking back what I hadn't used to the shop from where it came with complaint, they then told me I was not the first to complain about this particular paper. Hmmm so why did they continue to sell it ...???

Ah thanks, should be ok then since it has a lining on the back.

The walls are in good condition and have been stripped back to paint, considering I have the lining paper, paste and time, is it still worth lining the walls?

Chris

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back