Awful smell coming up through floor! Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posting here as I don't know who to ask for help/ what tradesmen can advise me.

In the last year an occasional whiff has turned into a permanent stench coming up from under the suspended timber floor. We had a rat problem last winter which was solved but has left the loft insulation smelling of rat mess which smelled amazing. I'm wondering if it's the same smell coming from under the floor but can it last this long? a Or maybe cracked drain smell instead? It's almost like a gas smell.. I need someone to investigate and solve the problem. I've open up a few holes in the floor and had a look but apart from rat droppings the floor sub floor is dry so I don't think it's a leaking waste? help!

Sponsored Links
Gas smell could very well be leaking foul drainage but if you've got rat droppings down there you could have dead rat issues. Best have a sweep up first & see if any more appear. Worth getting onto Transco via their 'smell gas' number & get them to check it isn't actually a real gas leak, tis a free service. Getting someone in to investigate- blank cheque time that...basic test (if you have a manhole outside the house) would be to pressure test the foul drains

Carcasses have a very distinct smell ,anyone who has a cat who has left dead birds in their wardrobes knows that smell!

How big is the space under your floor can you get in there to sweep up the droppings and try to locate the source of the smell?

As o b n d says - it could be a gas leak . A M8 who lives in his late Mum's bungalow told me how his sister once smelled something in the living room, and just told mum to live in the rest of the house !- It was a gas leak under the suspended floor .:eek:

Sponsored Links
if you have a dead rat -it usually comes with flies.

have you got a foul pipe under that floor somewhere

FFS just call it in as a Gas escape and it will be investigated FOC, then when they prove it isnt a gas escape then get someone out

No flies on you Mottie - only the marks where they've been;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back