Drain Rats/Mice/Smells - Big Problems

2. This was a pic while they were still carry out the works. The void to my understanding was to protect it for when they built on top of it.

Yes, the main chamber sit on top of the public sewer and hence the camera was able to access both neighbours pipes as well.

5. I am not too technical with this areas but yes I remember the plumbers saying it was a strap boss.

6. I have double checked each appliance and sink - the sink has a trap, the washing machine has a trap, boiler also has a trap.

I cannot tell if the dish washer has a trap though, however the smells are coming out from both the washing machine and under the floor (we have removed 2 floor tiles to try and see any issues but cannot identify any).

Sponsored Links
The reason I'm asking about traps is that I can't see any evidence of a trap on the boiler condensate pipework (there will be one inside the boiler but I'm asking about an external one) - is there an external trap on the boiler condensate pipework?

Your pictures 54 & 55 both show open/ un-trapped waste pipework.
Have both the waste pipes against the side wall both got traps on them?

Regarding the waste pipework from the dishwasher & washing machine - the flexible waste pipes attached to the machines - do they both rise up to the underside of the worktop & are they secured at high level?

Please see picture 53 with regards to the trap for the boiler and picture 54 for the sink trap.

Sorry, as I added two more pics to the gallery, it has rearranged the number. What were pic 54 & 55?

There is only 1 waste pipe against the wall which all the appliances connect into.

Please see pic 50 for the current setup of the WM's pipe work.

For the dish washer it seems there is a flexi pipe that goes into the sinks trap (Pic 54).

Sorry - couple more questions!

In your current album (do me a favour and don't add/re-arrange it!)

Image 54 shows an incorrect waste connection for the dishwasher - the dishwasher waste needs to rise up to the underside of the worktop and be clipped into position. In it's current state, waste water from the sink will run into the dishwasher waste pipe - this often leads to strong rotten food odours when the dishwasher is run.

Image 50 - is this the current connection for the washing machine and the boiler condensate?

Image 53 shows the boiler condensate pipework through a trap made up of 3 elbows. There appear to be two other connections to the right of the boiler condensate connection - what else is connected to the white plastic pipework?

Sponsored Links
Apologies - I only added 2 more pics so you could see the layout of the sink and boiler.

With regards to pic 54 - We do not get any rotten food smells from the sink or dish washer.

The eggy/sulpher/stale smells escape from behind the washing machine and where gaps are presents in the corner of the utilities area from under the floor and in the bathroom (gaps behind the shower)...

Image 50 - This is the current setup.

Image 53 - That was for the Condense Drier but we have never used it as it comes with a water tray that we just empty.... (Picture 51 shows the end of that run)

Image 53 shows three connection

1) Boiler condense

2) a vertical connection to the right of the copper pipework

3) An un-capped end (covered by parcel tape)

Where does the vertical connection terminate?

You need to cap off the un-used end properly

Once you've removed the un-trapped / open pipework then that eliminates those as possible sources of the odour.

The next step is drain testing

The vertical connection terminates to a copper pipe, which is apart of the boiler as well.

The uncapped end has been checked and tested for when the smells are escaping and not once has the smell been present there.

The smells are definitely only coming from under the floor as the smells are both present in the bathroom and utilities area and when the smells have been present, we have checked the strongest point from under the tiles, gaps between tiles and wall and behind the washing machine....

In that case the boiler connection is wrong - that's (I assume) the PRV and should discharge in a visible position.

Before going any further I would correct:

The dishwasher connection
Cap the unused condensate drain
Correct the PRV connection

Next stage is to conduct proper drain tests - these should have been done as part of the build and prior to backfilling (I assume the building inspector agreed that the drain installation was to regs?

Just as a side note - as far as I remember, the use of pipework (40/50mm) underground isn't permitted. It's usual practise to bring 110mm to FFL and reduce down above floor.

Given the use of a strap boss and the 2 small bore waste pipes was the design spec for drains changed after the build started?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back