Awful Water Taste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About a month ago our water in our house started to taste really stale/metallic. We've been at the property for 6 years and never had this issue.

We contacted welsh water who have flushed our mains outside to no effect. Our neighbors house is empty (semi detached house) so not sure if they are affected? Although other houses in our street water is ok. The water is awful from ever tap. 12 months ago our boiler was slowly loosing pressure so thought to get that fixed hoping that would solve both issues but it hasn't. We made no changed in the house.

Anyone got any ideas what might cause the drinking water to go off?

Sponsored Links
So what was the final opinion of Welsh water supplier?

Very common cause of foul tasting water is breakdown of appliance hoses (washing machine/dishwasher) which can back flow to nearest drinking tap (kitchen sink). Put double check valve on supply to those appliances... You can get machine valves with backflow protection built in.

Edit: link supplied...
https://www.bes.co.uk/washing-machine-tap-with-check-valve-15mm-x-3-4in-10334/

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So what was the final opinion of Welsh water supplier?

Very common cause of foul tasting water is breakdown of appliance hoses (washing machine/dishwasher) which can back flow to nearest drinking tap (kitchen sink). Put double check valve on supply to those appliances... You can get machine valves with backflow protection built in.

Edit: link supplied...
https://www.bes.co.uk/washing-machine-tap-with-check-valve-15mm-x-3-4in-10334/

That's the most frustrating thing. Welsh water isn't saying a lot. They come to flush the outside pipes go away and do the same thingmmm but have rung them today asking to speak to a manger to get a definitive answer or plan.

I've put a non return valve thinking it was my washing machine as it's near my kitchen sink but hasn't done anything. I'm going to change the washer for my single mixer kitchen tap as someone said maybe the hot water is mixing with the cold water. But why would it affect my other taps in the household....

Weve been supplied by DC since 1966 and always been over chlorinated, sometimes when running the bath taps it can burns the eyes.
Once when we complain they sent a full chemical analysis

I believe non wras approved hoses can affect it as well.

If Welsh water are flushing the mains and not saying much I would think they know what’s causing it and it’s them! How many big firms would do something without question?

If you ask to see the results of the samples in your area, they have to give them to you.

If Welsh water are flushing the mains and not saying much I would think they know what’s causing it and it’s them! How many big firms would do something without question?

I know. I put in a complaint just to get things moving.... Today I've turned off the cold water valve to my mains kitchen mixer tap. I read somewhere the hot/cold water could mix. Also have wondering to change the tap cartridge too .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back