B£%%*y plumbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved and needed a plumber to install a shower in an en-suite ASAP. We chose a Roman walk-in shower with Mermaid panels. The little toe-rags put sealant between the panels and the shower tray instead of the proper sealing strip. The result is that it wasn't sealed. I have removed their old sealant, dried it all out and re-sealed again. But still no good. I have now removed, dried again, and placed a very small amount of sealant in the actual gap (1-2 mm) that exists between the panels and the tray, and intend to follow this up with a wider strip of sealant when the first lot has cured.

My questions are :
1. What sealant should I be using ?

2. Not being an avid DIYer what tips can anyone give me with regard to getting a nice smooth finish on the sealant. I've read about washing up liquid etc (which I haven't tried yet) but just using water and a round object (as per the sealant instructions) doesn't seem to work. I get a crap job.

We have since had an identical shower fitted in another room, this time employing a decent plumber, and his work is fantastic and no leaks (but he did use the official Mermaid sealling strip).

All help much appreciated - Scooby

Sponsored Links
scooby1 said:
I have now removed, dried again, and placed a very small amount of sealant in the actual gap (1-2 mm) that exists between the panels and the tray, and intend to follow this up with a wider strip of sealant when the first lot has cured.
If the first application has sealed the gap, then why add more?

Dow Corning 785.

Which brand did you use?

2. Not being an avid DIYer what tips can anyone give me with regard to getting a nice smooth finish on the sealant.
Less is more. Many experienced people use nothing more than a dry finger.

However, some people swear by the masking tape method. Have you searched the forum?

Softus said:
scooby1 said:
I have now removed, dried again, and placed a very small amount of sealant in the actual gap (1-2 mm) that exists between the panels and the tray, and intend to follow this up with a wider strip of sealant when the first lot has cured.
If the first application has sealed the gap, then why add more? The more the merrier ? Don't know if the gap has been totally sealed until I try it and then if it isn't it's strip it all out again, dry, etc.
Dow Corning 785.

Which brand did you use? This stuff.

2. Not being an avid DIYer what tips can anyone give me with regard to getting a nice smooth finish on the sealant.
Less is more. Many experienced people use nothing more than a dry finger. But it sticks to my fingers and makes a horrible mess if I try that. Have I got the wrong fingers ? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

However, some people swear by the masking tape method. Have you searched the forum? Yes, I have, and the next time I will try the washing up liquid.

One more question please. Can anyone confirm that it is perfectly possible to seal a shower tray with sealant ?

And thank you for replying to my question Softus. I appreciate the help so far.

Scooby.

scooby1 said:
The more the merrier ?
Not IMHO. Especially since it's the 'extra' that's causing you a difficulty.

Don't know if the gap has been totally sealed until I try it and then if it isn't it's strip it all out again, dry, etc.
I don't agree. If you play water along the joint and look underneath, then you can see where the problem is. You can then dry off that area, and, invariably, finding the crack/pinhole and pushing silicone into it will work.

Which brand did you use?
This stuff.
<image of Unibond Ultimate>
I haven't used that myself, but have heard some people claim that it's OK.

But it sticks to my fingers and makes a horrible mess if I try that. Have I got the wrong fingers ?
Probably not; probably just the wrong technique. Most likely you're still putting too much on.

One more question please. Can anyone confirm that it is perfectly possible to seal a shower tray with sealant ?
More than possible, I think it's the only way that exists.

Sponsored Links
Wow Softus, now I'm getting somewhere. The reason that I have needed to dry it out was the fact that the plywood (Mermaid) sheeting was getting wet and the "glue" that sticks the individual sheets together was coming out under the sheeting and into the tray.

So I figured that it had to be dried out before any corrective measures could be taken. I have left it for a fortnight without use and have used a fan to circulate the air around the tray during the recent spell of warm weather.

As far as your comments re: putting too much on, I just assumed that more would give a greater degree of "elasticity" for the sealant and would therefore "give" a bit more when someone is standing in the tray.

I still have a lot to learn. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: but thank you very much for your help.

Scooby

scooby1 said:
The reason that I have needed to dry it out was the fact that the plywood (Mermaid) sheeting was getting wet and the "glue" that sticks the individual sheets together was coming out under the sheeting and into the tray.
I think I understand, although I confess I've never seen or used this Mermaid product.

So I figured that it had to be dried out before any corrective measures could be taken. I have left it for a fortnight without use and have used a fan to circulate the air around the tray during the recent spell of warm weather.
Fair play. But if you test briefly and find just a small leak, then you don't have to be too manic about drying everything out.

As far as your comments re: putting too much on, I just assumed that more would give a greater degree of "elasticity" for the sealant and would therefore "give" a bit more when someone is standing in the tray.
Hm. What type of tray is this, and are you finding that it moves and/or flexes when you stand on it?

Thank you. As far as the Mermaid product is concerned it is, in our opinion, much better than tiles. I am told that it is much easier to keep clean and it certainly looks (well to me anyway) much more aesthetically pleasing. However it is a bit expensive but I guess that it is priced in relation to the cost of buying and fitting tiles.

The shower in question is a Roman Colossus walk-in shower and matching tray. I have just enquired with Roman what the tray is made of and they have said that it is a "solid surface" product and they thought !! that it was a "stone & resin mix". I was further advised that any "good bathroom sealant" would be suitable.

I think that all I can deduce from this is that the installation doesn't require any specific sealant. And I don't think that the edges of the tray move very much when standing on it but I thought that I would give it the benefit of the doubt.

Scooby

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back