Bathroom Sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone please provide an explanation?

I had a leak on the ceiling under the shower. It was a gradual leak over time. I removed the old sealant in the shower around the tray and noticed that some water leaked from the ceiling, but not much, I thought maybe it was some leftover water. I cleaned up the leak and I didn't use the shower for a day or 2. I then put the new sealant on, after about 30 - 40 minutes (while the sealant was drying, water started leaking again, this time noticeable leak and not gradual. I am wondering if the drying of the sealant is causing some sort of pressure and pushes air/water out that was still behind the walls? Am I thinking on the right lines?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a leak from somewhere other than the shower tray

We faced a similar issue last summer. In the end it turned out that we had several slow leaks from the shallow trap beneath the bath and from several points where push fit waste connectors had been used. Of course Sodt's Law ensured that these had been installed below the floor (you should only install push fittings where you can get at them!). The make good involved cutting out several sections of the living room and kitchen ceilings in order to replace the waste pipe (accompanied by about 6 months worth of bad language!) The making good the plasterwork. So I'd start by having a look for waste pipe or water pipe leaks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Update: thank you everyone for your advice. Last couple of days the leak has really dried up and can't see any issues. Will see how it goes next few months but I believe it was due to the new sealant being put on.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back