[b]Airlocked boiler- Valiant Condensing boiler[/b]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is that the boiler won't keep running when fired up after doing a radiator repair.

Yesterday I attempted to fix a leaking radiator. I drained down the entire system as I couldn't find a riser for the heating system. The system was drained down without putting the HW switch on manual.

When the system was empty I repaired the radiator and opened all the upstairs radiator air screws and waited until all the radiators were full.

I then opened the hot water taps to find no water what so ever. Airlocked water. I managed to get rid of the airlock by putting my hand over the kitchen mixer taps and opening the hot water followed by the cold. I held my hand there for for 30 secs. The water then began to flow and all hot water taps have good pressure.

When switched on I hear the water rush through the system and the boiler fires up and kicks out steam. After 30 secs the steam bigins to disappear and stop 30 secs after that.. It looks as if no water is actually to the boiler. (air lock)

I have looked in the airing cupboard and can't find any breather pipes or screws. How do i get rid of the air.

Sponsored Links
Since you have given absolutely no details of your system its difficult for us to guess what you have got !

Most vaillant boilers are combi but it sounds as if you are describing a conventional system with hot water cylinder.

If the system is filled and all the rads have been bled of air then have you bled air out of the pump ??? See FAQ !

If the pump has been bled then it might be necessary to bleed air from within the boiler but without knowing the model we dont know about this for sure.

Did you bleed the pump and is it turning?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back