No hot water since drain-down

Ok, you got me
469fdf6a8912d33e16d8f75f6aa7281a.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi again !

The water in the central heating will squirt out, though I'm not brave enough to let it come out so forcefully !!

I drained and refilled again, but have the same problem.

The CH works fine, all rads heat up, and have been bled several times.

When I switch on the hot water, the boiler comes on for a while then the cut out trips and the panel of the boiler is hotter than norm, hence the suspicion that an air lock (or blockage) is stopping the water circulating in the heat exchanger.

Where should I look for blockages? I thought the small header was for the central heating only......is the hot water fed from the main tank/main?

Thanks.

let me check... when you turn on the hot taps:

Does cold water come out?
or
Does nothing come out?

Also

Please read through the earlier posts and check (1) that you have answered all the questions (2) that you have tried all the suggestions

and say what happened when you did.

You say the radiators are all getting hot, so you mean the pump is working OK? And all the rads are hot all over, no cold patches?i

have you got a 3-port valve? Feel the 3 pipes on it to see which are hot.

Some pictures would be useful, especially round the cylinder, to show the pump, electric valve, and pipe layout.

You didn't get any black water or sediment out, when you drained the rads, but you got brown water and brown sediment? Is that right?

Have you got an immersion heater on the cylinder?

Hi John,

Water comes out of the hot taps, but it's cold, as in hasn't been heated.

The water that drained out had a rusty tint to it, but it was still clear. If you let the water sit, you could see a light brown deposit left.

The small expansion tank fills and drains fine, i turned the main supply off, and let the expansion tank drain through the radiators.

All the radiators heat up fine, no cold spots, and all have been bled.

The only pump I have is for the CH, I think the hot water is a gravity system? I don't have a 3 way valve anywhere.

I have an immersion heater in the hot tank and it heats the water ok.

I allowed the system to refill by reversing the order I turned all the valves off in ie turned off the feed from the main tank to the taps, then the hot water valve beside the hot tank and finally the main supply into the house.

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
I think the layout round the cylinder is most likely the trouble.

But round the boiler, and the F&E tank in the loft (including inside) may help.

Also any vents that go up from near the cylinder or the boiler into the loft.

hi John,

Will try and post tomorrow (once the wife has emptied the hot tank cupboard of all the towels) ;)

Thanks.

Hi John,

Can't post images on this board, but I did take some of the cylinder and boiler.

I tried ramming a length of twin and earth down both cold water feeds from the main tank, and on the CH feed from the header tank.

Still not joy...CH is fine, hot water trips the cutout before the water heats up

Is there a way to back flush the hot water side, to blow out any obstructions?

Thanks,
Mike[/img]

Well your HW feed from the boiler isn't pumped, it uses the "gravity" connections.
GWUltimatepipes.jpg

If venting the pipe as JohnD suggests doesn't work, do you have an aquavac, or carpet cleaning vac? If so try sucking at the vent pipe in the loft.

The next thing could be to take a thermostat out of the boiler to let it boil - not recommended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back