B Gas engineer has swapped lockshield valve & radiator valve

If you keep it off and it all works OK with no strange noises, then it is more than likely not on a bypass. If you are able to turn it off now he has swapped things around then I would just leave it as it is.
Thank you, it's a bit off and on at the moment, depending on the weather.

Sponsored Links
There's just a white cap on the lockshield valve with no markings and plus & minus markings on the radiator valve, but of course now they're swapped round anyway.
All he has done is swap over the white caps (they either just pull off or undo with a little screw in the top) to put the +/- cap to the unseized valve. Swap them back if you prefer it the way it was.

You'd have to be pretty absent minded to do that, "loosen" things up, and then not mention it, but it's possible.

Last edited:
All he has done is swap over the white caps (they either just pull off or undo with a little screw in the top) to put the +/- cap to the unseized valve. Swap them back if you prefer it the way it was.

You'd have to be pretty absent minded to do that, "loosen" things up, and then not mention it, but it's possible.
Thank you, I'll be back to square one then though, because the radiator valve seems like it's seized.

Sponsored Links
Problem is, if the Valve is seized, it is highly likely it's going to start leaking if any attempt is made to free it. Then if the leak cannot be stopped it's new Valve time, and that means a drain down of the system to fit it. Then system needs to be refilled, bled and inhibitor topped up, (assuming there is any in there anyway.) Suddenly what seems like a simple job turns into several hours (or more) work.

Problem is, if the Valve is seized, it is highly likely it's going to start leaking if any attempt is made to free it. Then if the leak cannot be stopped it's new Valve time, and that means a drain down of the system to fit it. Then system needs to be refilled, bled and inhibitor topped up, (assuming there is any in there anyway.) Suddenly what seems like a simple job turns into several hours (or more) work.
Ah right, I see, thank you.

Thank you, I'll be back to square one then though, because the radiator valve seems like it's seized.

Sure, I was just clarifying what he hasn't done is swap the valves.

For all that, might as well replace the radiator at the same time. :)

OP: This probably comes under the heading "First World Problems". The radiator is now operable. A bit weird that he slightly misled you, but if he is only getting paid for a service (actually peanuts for a "Poke 'n Go") he would be daft to risk a leak.

What level of contract are you on, and do you have an excess?

Can anyone tell me if swapping over the valves like this will cause problems in the system plse?
he never swapped the valves over, he would have to drain the system down to do that, which he wouldnt do, he has just put the plastic caps back the wrong way round, wont make the slightest bit of difference

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back