B&Q Engineered wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I keep hearing 'Dont buy B&Q wood flooring as its rubbish and you can get alot better quality for the price', would you say thats correct on this one even after the 15% discount ?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...ister&ts=1253014701723&isSearch=false#reviews £38.36 per m2

I've seen it in the flesh and like it and I havent got time to wait for samples etc in the post. What do people think ?

Also is the Tarkett brand of flooring anygood I was looking at this ?

http://www.ukflooringdirect.co.uk/E..._Oak_Flooring_110mm_Brushed_%2526_Matt_L.html

Sponsored Links
Can't speak for B&Q, but have used Tarkett and can confirm that it's good stuff.

What should give you warning signs about the B&Q product is the bit in the extra information.
Features says: Length (cm): 108
Extra info says: 219mm board lengths to create a truly individual floor
That's 22cm pieces. If you are unlucky (and these types of "cheap" floors are notorious for it) you'll end up with many, many short lengths = many 'hinges', which makes your floor not as they say truly individual but very unstable due to the many hinges.

The Tarket you linked to is what we would call a veneer floor, 0.6mm top layer = bedroom quality

What should give you warning signs about the B&Q product is the bit in the extra information.
Features says: Length (cm): 108
Extra info says: 219mm board lengths to create a truly individual floor
That's 22cm pieces. If you are unlucky (and these types of "cheap" floors are notorious for it) you'll end up with many, many short lengths = many 'hinges', which makes your floor not as they say truly individual but very unstable due to the many hinges.

The Tarket you linked to is what we would call a veneer floor, 0.6mm top layer = bedroom quality

Thanks for the advice is there brand you would recommend ? The flooring is going all downstairs, hallway, front room and back room. I don't want it to be much wider than 140mm in width, I have about 35m2 to do. I'm looking for engineered OAK, something mid range that won't look cheap, I need to be able to get my hands on it by mid to late next week.

Sponsored Links
Best I can offer you is 145mm Oak Rustic wood-engineered pre-oiled (manufacturer's own 'brand') 1830mm long with standard T&G £ 39.97 ex VAT per sq m

Post title says engineered . . . normally all planks same length

Description in link is solid wood . . . . normally variable length planks

edit - having re-read the description I think the additional info is wrong and all boards will be the same length, a similar product to the one we fitted, probably same maker.

We have B&Q Engineered (All boards the same length) and it was similar price to yours. Easy to fit, odd boards had very white sapwood (discarded or used part of board at edge) and odd boards had knots which had not been filled properly (discarded or used part of board at edge).

In all the odd boards came in where I only wanted half width apart from 1.

Said Made in Germany on the back of every board.

Pleased with floor, there are some photos on here somewhere.

See //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=177286&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15[i][/i]

IJWS15, I think you're right about the additional info being about solid, hadn't read the first line in there properly.
There are wood-engineered boards that do have different lengths, but indeed not so short as solid 'offers' can have.

Bit late to this thread but have done 3 rooms with B&Q natural oak engineered wood flooring.

Looks very nice and quality is generally very good (and I am picky!), very easy to lay.

As mentioned before you may get some boards with large filled knots or sap wood. If you can't use these for edge cuts or loose the knots in waste, then over order, sort the boards from your packs then repack your reject boards and return for refund, just make sure you unpack and repack carefully, no questions asked.

I Have just layed the engineered wood from B and carp, i am actually very happy with it. Its gone together really well, no glue, just gentle persuasian, Its only been down a couple of weeks, so cant comment on the longevity.

I would recommend, i got band q to do a price match against wickes, this resulted in bargain basement price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back