B&Q light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new light for my bedroom at B&Q today, and was amazed when i opened it up to find the following leaflet:
pp0030pj.jpg

See! they do care after all!!!!!!!! Even though changing a light fitting isn't notifiable afaik!

And I am very impresed with the varilight dimmer i purchased - i can controll it from my sky remotes!!!! :LOL:

And with the clarity of the instructions enclosed with both, I am amazed we get so many questions on here about lighting circuits. This light even had a 4-terminal block for the loop-in (though i didn't need it). Its so obvious how to wire it.

Sponsored Links
now this confuses me even more about part P.....

from all the other email chains i've read on here, and reading the bits of part P that people have pasted in messages, I thought that it was almost impossible to do any work in Kitchens without notifying etc...

but this seems to basically say that you can do any minor work and replacements and repairs in Kitchens and Bathrooms...

There's quite a lot that can fit into those definitions of 'repair or replacing'...?

I think I can do a lot more than I thought then?>

ben, you can change like-for-like in kitchens & bathroms, this means that if you change a flourescent fitting for another one then fine, but if you replace a flourescent strip with 25 downlighters! then you obviously need to be able to assess the existing cables and calculate loads and factors involved.
though you are correct in that there is now a grey area covering the like for like thing.
Basically if you are competent and can prove it, then as long as you stick to BS 7671 you wont go far wrong. If in doubt have any work checked by a registered spark.

Sponsored Links
thanks for reply, and yes I'm pretty competent and confident in my electrical DIY.

However, - the B&Q thing also said replacing/repairing CABLE? - that implies semi-rewiring?? can take out a cable and replace it with another?

also what about repairing or replacing a cooker? or replacing the cable that goes form the cooker to the cable outlet?

I thought that lots of people on this forum have outlawed that sort of stuff under part p, but this B&Q thing (which they must have had checked by lawers a hundred times to cover their backs) says that I can repair or replace cable in a kitchen??

I read this as saying there really isnt much that I would want to do that I cant do apart from adding a new run of cable to a new socket.

benethan said:
I thought that lots of people on this forum have outlawed that sort of stuff under part p
Part P outlawed nothing, apart from not notifying certain work.

crafty1289 said:
You can replace cable - as long as it is still like-for-like.

Yes, you can replace one cable damaged by fire, impact or rodent, but as you say it has to be like-for-like and follow the same route.

So what if you are replacing a damaged shower cable which is 4mm2 T & E on an 8.5kW shower, installed really badly?

Then you must either notify LABC, or have the replacement carried out by a registered electrician.

ban-all-sheds said:
benethan said:
I thought that lots of people on this forum have outlawed that sort of stuff under part p
Part P outlawed nothing, apart from not notifying certain work.
and nobody on this forum has outlawed anything either. :eek:

yeah, sorry just being lazy with words..... just meant 'outlawed' doing diy work without notifying it, etc...

I know i can still do anything providing competent and notify etc..

So just for clarity.... - for example,

I can remove an electric hob,,,, replace it, with a new one,,, replace the cable and the outlet for a new one, etc,, without notifying, completley fine under part P...?

sorry to go on and on....

I'd never thought so, because a hob is clearly a fixed appliance, and the legislation clearly says it covers fixed appliances, and they are clearly not on the exempt list.

But the new Approved Document which comes into force on April 1st (I'm saying nothing), explicitly states that replacing cookers and showers is not notifiable as long as no new circuit is required.

Whilst I will always argue against allowing the authorities to use Approved Documents to force you to do things that are not in the law, I see no reason not to take advantage of them when it suits.

Whether you regard that as hypocrisy, or the exploitation for reasons of justifiable self-interest of a nonsensical environment created by a cynical, incompetent and morally bankrupt government is up to you....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back