B&Q Nextday + Screwfix = 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone seen the new B&Q spin off site? Nextday. At least they have redesigned that crapiola site they had before. However the cheeky buggers have got another sub site which has the same products as Screwfix, even the product codes are the same! :LOL:

Yeah its common knowledge they are both under the kingfisher brand but still its just plain cheeky!

http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/home/homePage.jsp

Sponsored Links
I heard a whisper that some B&Q stores will be losing some shop floor space to allow Screwfix to trade under the same roof.

B&Q are losing money, Screwfix are doing great. The problem Screwfix have is finding sites so the solution as far a Kingfisher are concerned is quite simple, the B&Q management might have a few things to say though. :LOL:

B&Q deserve to lose money, they have always had a great opinion of themselves and seem to spend lots of time in store on "focus groups" and "team building sessions". :rolleyes: Screwfix don't get bogged down in all that corporate mumbo jumbo, they just sell you the stuff, simple as that.

PS just had a thought they could call the campaign "Screw B&Q" :LOL:

I went in a about 3 years ago to buy a bath waste plug and knob. (The thing you turn and the plug pops up). Needed it when installed new bath as i broke the one that came with it. Cant remember the actual prices but screwfix was about £14.00. I needed it urgent so asked the man in B&Q. He told me it was expensive around £25. I said i can get it for £14 and he looked as if i was stupid. I couldnt believe the difference in price for the same item. B&Q is so overpriced its no wonder they are losing money. I would be lost without the old trustworthy screwfix catologue.

B&Q is like McDonalds. Crap and ripoff but handy if you need something yesterday, otherwise you go elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
B&Q has its uses, their timber prices are very reasonable. Their plaster is also kept indoors so always buy from them which is pretty much the same price at the trade.

I think B&Q is well over priced on timber compared with my local timber yard

Their redwood plained timber is very well priced for their 4.8M lengths I found none of the timber yards could match the price. However their tanalised timber is extortionate. I can get a piece of 2"x4" 4.8M length for under £7. That will cost you double in B&Q!

Screwfix are moving into B&Q stores, replacing the trade counter.

I bloody hope not! Its bad enough as it is at the trade counters with numpties not knowing what they want.
Imagine all those extra numpties in B&Q trying to figure out what they think they need!

Screwfix are moving into B&Q stores, replacing the trade counter.

lovely. More numpty diyer's you have to queue behind.

23_11_59.gif

I b****y hope not! Its bad enough as it is at the trade counters with numpties not knowing what they want, imagine all those extra numpties in B&Q trying to figure out what they think they need!

beat me to it.

glad i not the only one that gets the ar*se

Here's a quick ruse you may wish to follow up.

Had to buy a new drill (dewalt) to replace one stolen - got it from screwfix for £99. Exactly same model in BQ for £199 - they agreed the price match since wasn't an internet site (had bought one from screwfix and brought it into bq to prove identical model). Thus £10 off and got it for £89 and a simple return to screwfix. Only a tenner, but still a tenner in my pocket for 30 mins effort, if you know what I mean!

As am employee of B&Q, I'll just clear up some things here.

That is just a whisper at the moment. Nothing on the subject has been put down in writing anywhere. Screwfix are still opening more and more Trade counters as I type. The idea that Screwfix will be replacing the Trade counters in B&Q stores is false also.

B&Q is not losing money. Sales are up 3% or so on last year. Also, I don't know where you've heard or seen this idea of 'focus groups' and 'team building sessions'. So far as I know, neither of those things ever happen in the any of the stores I've visited recently. If they happen in a store near to you, they certainly aren't mandated by head office or regional management.

B&Q China (closing down 20 odd stores, reducing range and introducing centralised ranges throughout all stores, revamping to target a wider audience than before) and the Trade Depot (all trade counters closed by now) are the only parts of the business that are losing money.

The Next Day service is one way that B&Q and Screwfix will be working more closely to serve the same customers. We're also looking into consolidating our supply channels, so that the products you get from Screwfix are the same as the products you get at B&Q. This is mostly the case already, but we want to get it completely so.

I do take your point on the price difference though. That is an issue that has plagued us for a long time, and I think it's time we need to introduce a level of clarity between both brands, especially when the B&Q Trade Discount has taken off so well, and Trade accounts continue to be opened left, right and centre.

That's all I've got to add, but I just thought I'd clear up a few things I saw in this thread.

Sponsored Links
Back