[b]Wire from a wall light[/b]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I only have wall lights in my hallway and plan to install low wattage downlighters in the centre off the ceiling. As i understand it can I break into this ciruit and use a 4T JB to take a live and neutral to my halogen lights?

I also want to install a light to illuminate a picture in the living room. The wall is solid but I don't want to chase or trunk any cables. On the other side of this solid wall (i.e. the dining room) there is something similar but (I think) lower down. My questions are:

- could I take a live feed from there using terminal blocks by connecting a 1.5mm T&E cable enclosed in a conduit (what type and size of conduit would I require)
- do I have to seal each end with mastic seal to prevent any moisture from entering the enclosure
- without drilling, how can I confirm the exact location of the existing wall light source in the dining room because if my new wall light is not in the same location as that on the other side in the kitchen what are my options (if any)

Thanking you in advance.

Sponsored Links
jags said:
I only have wall lights in my hallway and plan to install low wattage downlighters in the centre off the ceiling. As i understand it can I break into this ciruit and use a 4T JB to take a live and neutral to my halogen lights?
Which is it? Low wattage or halogen?

Not that it matters regarding wiring. If you just take L/N/E to the new lights then you only need a 3-terminal JB, and they'll be controlled by the same switch as the wall lights.

I also want to install a light to illuminate a picture in the living room. The wall is solid but I don't want to chase or trunk any cables. On the other side of this solid wall (i.e. the dining room) there is something similar but (I think) lower down.
What sort of something? Similar to what?

- could I take a live feed from there using terminal blocks by connecting a 1.5mm T&E cable enclosed in a conduit (what type and size of conduit would I require)
Round PVC 20mm will do.

- do I have to seal each end with mastic seal to prevent any moisture from entering the enclosure
Why should moisture get in?

- without drilling, how can I confirm the exact location of the existing wall light source in the dining room
By measuring from floors, ceilings, walls & doorways?

because if my new wall light is not in the same location as that on the other side in the kitchen what are my options (if any)
Drill at an angle?

Thanks for that ban-all-sheds.

What's the difference between low wattage and halogen, I thought they were used interchangeably to describe spot lights.

I might want to use another switch to control these new spots, hence the 4T JB.

When I said something similar, I meant there's another wall light in the dining room also illuminating a picture. I need to accurately determine where the dining room wall light is from the lounge since I cannot afford mistakes. Also the finished floor level is different in both rooms. I have heard of a device that uses the fact that water finds it's natural level which you can use for this type of job but would appreciate somebody telling me where I can purchase this from (if it exists)

PS. For future reference if I wanted more complicated electrical installations carried out and decided to undertake the services of a professional electrician, what type of completion certificate should I expect. If it depends on the type of job then can someone list what certificate is appropriate for which type of electrical work. Many thanks.

jags said:

What's the difference between low wattage and halogen, I thought they were used interchangeably to describe spot lights.
Low wattage means... low wattage, there's no real threshold, but it's generally taken to mean compact fluorescent lights, which are generally under 20W, quite often around 10W.

And whilst you can get 20W halogens, they are usually a lot more - 50W is not unusual...

I might want to use another switch to control these new spots, hence the 4T JB.
The yes, you'd need a 4-way.

When I said something similar, I meant there's another wall light in the dining room also illuminating a picture.
If this isn't controlled with an integral switch, i.e. if it is controlled by a normal wall switch somewhere then you can't tap into it as there is no permanent live - you'd end up with both lights going on and off together.

I need to accurately determine where the dining room wall light is from the lounge since I cannot afford mistakes. Also the finished floor level is different in both rooms. I have heard of a device that uses the fact that water finds it's natural level which you can use for this type of job but would appreciate somebody telling me where I can purchase this from (if it exists)
All you need is a length of transparent tubing, long enough to reach from one location to the other. Doesn't matter if it's too long and lies in coils on the floor.

PS. For future reference if I wanted more complicated electrical installations carried out and decided to undertake the services of a professional electrician, what type of completion certificate should I expect. If it depends on the type of job then can someone list what certificate is appropriate for which type of electrical work. Many thanks.
You should expect an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) to BS 7671, and if the work is notifiable, a Building Regulations completion certificate.

Sponsored Links
If this isn't controlled with an integral switch, i.e. if it is controlled by a normal wall switch somewhere then you can't tap into it as there is no permanent live - you'd end up with both lights going on and off together.

Yes it's controlled by a normal light switch. I thought you could tap into the wall light for a live, just like you would if taking a live off a ceiling rose to supply another pendant and it's in the light switch where you have a switch wire and permanent live and so can't take from the light switch.

PS. I'm a keen diy'er and in search of the best tradesmen toolbox on the market now which has many compartments, heavy duty but compact (e.g. 25" - 30" long) e.g. the Irwin Professional Toolbox, are there any more like this. I've scoured all the well know websites, e.g. tooled-up.com, toolsation, screwfix.

Slightly digressing, one of the conductors of a cable terminated in a light switch has burnt out. I've cut back but there's no more slack so it's now too short to re-terminate. I could use terminal blocks but I've been told to use crimping lugs, I think they're called "through crimps". Could anyone please confirm.

Thank you.

CTBUTTSLASHR.JPG
CTBUTTSLASHB.JPG
CTBUTTSLASHY.JPG
BHCRIMP16.JPG

Must be applied using a proper ratchet crimper

DVDHCR15.JPG

DVDHCR1516.JPG

not one of these:

82229.jpg

However there were 2 remaining questions, please see below:

Yes it's controlled by a normal light switch. I thought you could tap into the wall light for a live, just like you would if taking a live off a ceiling rose to supply another pendant and it's in the light switch where you have a switch wire and permanent live and so can't take from the light switch.

PS. I'm a keen diy'er and in search of the best tradesmen toolbox on the market now which has many compartments, heavy duty but compact (e.g. 25" - 30" long) e.g. the Irwin Professional Toolbox, are there any more like this. I've scoured all the well know websites, e.g. tooled-up.com, toolsation, screwfix.

Please when you have a minute, answer these, thank you for your help, you certainly know your stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back