BAC doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have BAC hardwood front and back doors which are about 12 years old. I am having probs with the hinges on the rear door but I cannot find re-placements. I have been on to BAC who say they no longer supply them, and that they can send a team round to fit new hinges, but the door/frame will have to be adapted. They quoted a min. £400.00 for this. If I have to spend that much money I would buy a new door.
To enable me to keep this door has anyone an idea where I can get these older type hinges from. I have done the usual trawl around various sites bit no luck. I would think BAC fitted them to all their doors at some time. They are in two pieces with a white nylon type sleeve within each half and a steel rod sits within the sleeves. A small cap, top and bottom of the hinge is removable for adjustment, which needs to be done constantly. The door can be lifted off the hinges, similar to rising butts.
When I bought these doors, and windows, BAC looked a good deal. Loads of quality kite marks along the bottom of their bumf covering just about everything, but I have to say, the doors have been nothing but trouble. I would nevver buy another BAC product.
Anyway, I digress. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi. Did you manage to get any resolution for this?
I have the same problem and cant get replacement hinges anywhere...

Hi dyorkie.
Sorry for the delay in answering.
I had no luck with my window problems but I may have found a suitable replacement door hinge/s.
If you have the same style as me, installed about 16 years ago, I have found a company, HD Hardware that sell what looks to be a close replacement. May need a tweak or two. They are called Pendulum Rebated Butt Hinges and the quality and adjustment options leave the original product standing. After the 3 ws add hdhardware.co.uk
The Product code is PRBH. I bought one to see and am happy with it. £10.82 + £3.75 Carr + £2.91 VAT. £17.48 all in.
BAC wanted £250 just to send a man to look. There is a BAC depot locally to me and I have been in there 3 times over the years to get information on the original hinges but they absolutely not interested, I thought to the point of being rude.
In my opinion the product quality and after sales service is extremely poor and I would never buy from them again.
Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.
Regards,
volvomanx :LOL:

Thats great news. Really appreciate the advice and no I wont be going anywhere near BAC ever again. I got the same treatment.

What size did you go for as I see there are three size options. Our doors are around 17 years old so must be the same.
I wasn't sure what i need to measure?

Sponsored Links
Hi again.
I bought the 13mm size. Havnt tried to fit yet but i reckon they will do. I need to remove the door and lay flat to work on it. Problem is that it is really heavy. I was thinking of taking the glass out first to lighten the load. Both panels have blown anyway so i prob cant damage further.
Regards,
Volvomanx.

Hi volvomanx
Many thanks and good luck.
I will order one now and give it a go.

Will let you know how i get on.

Thanks again

dyorkie :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back