Back Boiler or Combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We recently moved into a new home which has an old back boiler (where the fireplace used to be) and in front of it an old fashioned gas fire.

The back boiler works fine and has given no problems so far, we don't use the old gas fire and want it replaced as soon as possible with a modern gas or electric fire. We were told from our gasman that it would be better to replace the back boiler with a new combi or even condenser boiler. I have heard, yes these provide cheaper bills but any savings made, will be offset by maintenance costs as the new boilers are not as relaiable as the back boilers. Is this the case?

Is it a better idea to keep the old back boiler or replace with a newer back boiler and then put a new gas or electric fire in front? Thanks in advance

Arakis777 :)

Sponsored Links
Your back boiler is basically a heat-only boiler with a gas fire lashed to the front. If you want to keep the old back boiler, you are stuck with keeping the gas fire you have now. These can't be changed. Old back boilers are usually reliable if serviced regularly. The down side is that they aren't as energy efficient as modern condensing boilers.

Any new boiler you have fitted now will be condensing, whether new heat-only, back boiler or combi.

If you can live with the naff gas fire you have now, you should keep the back boiler, as long as it works well. Just get it serviced yearly.

If you really want to change, get a new heat-only condensing boiler. You will keep the loft tanks and hw cylinder. This boiler would not be installed in the fireplace, so you would be free to have the new fire of your choice.

Keep the old back boiler and gas fire.
It will outlast any condensing boiler being installed at the moment.
If your hot water tank is on the way out replace with an unvented cylinder for mains pressure hot water.

You don't need to believe all the stuff about modern boilers all being a load of rubbish. It's written by people who don't know - or don't know how to install.

A modern condensing boiler with weather compensation will use far less gas to give you the same comfort.

Sponsored Links
... I have heard, yes these provide cheaper bills but any savings made, will be offset by maintenance costs as the new boilers are not as relaiable as the back boilers. Is this the case?
A good quality modern boiler installed and maintained to spec is very unlikely to break down.
The overall return on the money you pay for your gas with a back boiler is about 50%, and can even be less.
A steamer is about 90% effective; you can do the sums on your own gasbill.

Combi, but get a good installer to fit a good one, do this and it will last you reliably for many years

I repaired two fairly modern boilers today.

Even so I do think that unless your gas bill is under £500pa it would be a good idea to think about replacing it within the next few years.

Tony

The overall return on the money you pay for your gas with a back boiler is about 50%, and can even be less.

And that ignores the bleeding great vent hole in the wall, and all the room heat disappearing up the chimney, with the open flue back boiler.

And that ignores the bleeding great vent hole in the wall, and all the room heat disappearing up the chimney, with the open flue back boiler.
Indeed. With a bit of draught on a cold day, the real efficiency of open flue boilers can drop below 30% if you factor in the fact that the boiler needs to be on a lot longer to get/keep it warm.

In balance to above, you are paying a bit more for the inefficiency, but not for replacement just now. Furthermore, you then are lumbered with inherent much higher cost of repairs to the super duper high efficiency combi boiler with many more parts than fitted to your present built-like-a-brick-outhouse that only needs a thermocouple now and again.

My advise is as follows. Start improving on controls, clean the system and treat it. Fit a better cylinder. And finally, start saving towards new boiler. When the new boiler is fitted sometime in the future, present installation will be top notch to accept a steamer of your choice. Stay away from a combi boiler. And lookout for a good heating engineer and be kind to him.

You don't need to believe all the stuff about modern boilers all being a load of rubbish. It's written by people who don't know - or don't know how to install.

A modern condensing boiler with weather compensation will use far less gas to give you the same comfort.

An old back boiler will give the same comfort as a modern steamer. OK, BB will use more gas, BUT repair bills will be fraction of repairs to a steamer.

Interesting point regards fitting a boiler. My expoerience as a service guy is that often boilers are fitted by installers who will never be returning to the installation again as they know nothing of what is inside the 'white box' and choose not to service or repair their instal as need arises. As such, there is little feedback as to how good or bad their choice of boiler is.

Often Worcester is quoted to be the boiler of choice by many, but service guys often slag the boiler for build quality. Must say, WB technical service is the best.

An old back boiler will give the same comfort as a modern steamer. OK, BB will use more gas, BUT repair bills will be fraction of repairs to a steamer.
Repair bills will only be high if the boiler is crap or badly installed. Out of all the steamers I have installed, only one had minor problem ( call out cost plus about £30 part )
A back boiler on the other hand, is guaranteed to cost you twice as much in gas EVERY YEAR.

Absolute nonsense if boilers are so good now why do manufacturers employ so many repair engineers far far more than in the past
.And no its not because boilers are fitted wrong ,its because they try and maximise profit with cheaper parts in the hope it will last past the warranty period before it breaks.

Absolute nonsense if boilers are so good now why do manufacturers employ so many repair engineers far far more than in the past
Read what I posted properly. I did not say ALL modern boilers. I specifically stated: good quality boilers AND they have to be installed/maintained correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back