Back boiler removal and chimney breast modification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been working, in stages at modifying my front room. I want to modernise the chimney breast and get rid of the fire (don't think anything has changed since the property was built).....

I want to drop in a modern inset gas fire which I've already purchased, plaster over the (gorgeous) brick work and mount a TV as well.

Hit a bit of a "wall" when I came to open up the chimney breast to accept the new fire. From the photos attached, my friend says the white boxing which previously housed the back boiler is Asbestos. Is this correct?

This was a project I thought I could handle, but perhaps it's time to call in the pro's.... The other surprise after stripping away the forward-most layer of bricks is that the boxing seemingly takes the load of the rest of the chimney breast above it...... Thoughts?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Is that a proper chimney as in stack all the way up to roof then chimney stack on roof.

It looks like it a fake one that has been built to hide the flue from the back boiler.
If so it will need a bit of work on it to take an inset

Yep, it's a fake.... The brick runs to the ceiling and then the double-lined flue is boxed in in the bedroom above. I'm aware that I will need to create a sealed area around the new fire on which I was going to place a register plate which leads into the flue.

I guess there's some more brick work to be done..... :confused:

I'm now told by another source that the boxing present is superlux and asbestos - how do I tell the difference?

Dave, if there is any risk of it being asbestos, you need to get an expert in to check it & remove it.

You need to fit a lintel over the Builders opening or it'll all fall down. Also, why are you not fitting a catchment box for your new fire??

Sponsored Links
Smash it out if you die in 30 years its asbestos if not its supalux.

Asbestos tends to be quite hard supalux is softer and more fibrey (if thats a word).
Just try an dont break it up to much
Register plate would be ok providing flue above sealed to it ok . And a good cement rendering to seal and protect back wall
or use a metal starter box with proper adaptor from flue onto it

Cheers charnwood brain not in gear yet late night early rise ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back