Back Boiler Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any information regarding this back boiler - it has "New Marathon" written on it.

Ideally I would like to understand how this was\is plumbed in as I plan to remove it. There is a gas supply to the side of the fireplace which I am not sure if connected (will seek advice on this once I understand more).
Thanks in advance.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Yep, it is solid fuel water only boiler, although it would probably have had a radiator as a heat sink. It looks like it was plumbed in iron, so get your angle grinder out! It won't be connected to the gas. If you have gas central heating, it is unlikely to be connected to water, although it may have a lot of residual water and/or sludge in it.

If I take precautions by turning off gas and water and then "carefully" remove this - do you think I am being sensible? Are there any asbestos considerations? A new born baby will be in the house in 2 months and part of me is thinking about covering this up and forgetting about it OH wants an open fireplace though..........

Sponsored Links
[quote="ljmountain";p="2167999"]If I take precautions by turning off gas and water and then "carefully" remove this - do you think I am being sensible? Are there any asbestos considerations? A new born baby will be in the house in 2 months and part of me is thinking about covering this up and forgetting about it OH wants an open fireplace though..........[/quote][/i

As my post said, there is no gas connected. Do you have gas CH?. If so read my post! If you intend to light a fire, you will need a pro in anyway, so let him sort it out.

WARNING: DO NOT LIGHT FIRE WITH BOILER PRESENT UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY KNOW THAT THE PIPES ARE NOT CAPPED SOMEWHERE. PEOPLE HAVE DIED IN EXPLOSIONS WHERE PRESSURE HAS BUILT UP.

You say you are having a baby? Why on earth would you create more work and mess with a solid fuel fire. they are currently over rated, and most older folk in my shop won't go back to them

If I take precautions by turning off gas and water and then "carefully" remove this - do you think I am being sensible? Are there any asbestos considerations? A new born baby will be in the house in 2 months and part of me is thinking about covering this up and forgetting about it OH wants an open fireplace though..........

Yes have gas central heating. I should have been clearer (sorry) no intention of lighting a fire, OH wants space for flowers\candles\things (yep I agree no solid fuel - waste of time and energy). I definitely will not light fire with boiler present (do not worry).

It is most unlikely to be still connected to the CH system.

The pipework could have 5-10 li of water in it and the boiler core perhaps the same amount.

I would suggest you turn off water and gas to house first and then attack the boiler with an angle grinder with plenty of old rags to mop up the spilt water.

If you cut into a pipe until water just starts to come out ( if any ) then it will be a small and easily managed flow rate.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back