Back Boiler Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have no heating now as the back boiler has been condemed. People have suggested that I get a Combi boiler as there are only 2 of us living in a 3 bed flat. I have 6 radiators as well. Would they need replacing or can I keep them?

All the radiators were working fantastic its just that the heat exchanger started leaking.

Whats do you suggest?

Sponsored Links
No need to replace the radiators, although there is a 1,000,000-1 chance you could get a leak in one after the system has been powerflushed. Worry about that if and when it happens. Make sure you get at least a 30Kw combi so it gives enough hot water fast. Ignore the heating output needed this can be set on boiler at time of commissioning.

Its all a question of how many bathrooms, if one then a combi is fine.

Most need a sealed system and that MIGHT mean replacing the rads depending on their condition.

These matters are judgement after seeing your installation.

You should get quotes from CORGi registered installers to replace the BBU with a combi and convert to a combi system.

Budget for about £2000

Tony

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
No need to replace the radiators, although there is a 1,000,000-1 chance you could get a leak in one after the system has been powerflushed. Worry about that if and when it happens. Make sure you get at least a 30Kw combi so it gives enough hot water fast. Ignore the heating output needed this can be set on boiler at time of commissioning.

How is a 30Kw boiler going to benfit him if he is only getting 10litres a minute on his cold main??

Any reputeable heating installer will check pressure and flow of the cold main prior to advising a particuar output of boiler.

Like my house for example, i get about 11litres tops on my cold main, which is why I put in a 24kw which is more than up to the job of heating the amount of water i can physically get through my main.

I could replace the main but frankly I cant be A*rsed and anyway a 24kw does me, the wife and the kids fine!

As OP hasn't stated his water flow I assumed he is not living in outdated 3rd world accomodation that you so proudly state you have :eek:

OP was asking for suggestions and one assumes he then takes the given suggestions to help talk to his professional installers that he gets round to quote, hopefully not one like you 'arrogantgas :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
As OP hasn't stated his water flow I assumed he is not living in outdated 3rd world accomodation that you so proudly state you have :eek:

OP was asking for suggestions and one assumes he then takes the given suggestions to help talk to his professional installers that he gets round to quote, hopefully not one like you 'arrogantgas :rolleyes:

Id say making sure the proposed installer checks water pressure and flow a pretty important suggestion for the OP to take to his his installer.

If you want me get arrogant then fine.

This supposed third wold accomodation happens to be third most sought after place in the country to live accoring to a recent BBC documentary and also a book published last year called 'Heaven or Hell-A guid to the Uk's best and worst places to live'

Up until last year Harrogate was also in the top 10 in the country for house price increases, yet another indicator of its sought after properties.

So tell me why my property is thrid world. Because i only get 11 litres a minute from my cold main. i live with it and it never bothers me, how much fooking water does one family need??!!

I've got a new Baxi BBU H/E in my garage if anyone wants to buy it. Dunno what one it's for though.

Any takers .........

EliteHeat said:
I've got a new Baxi BBU H/E in my garage if anyone wants to buy it. Dunno what one it's for though.

Any takers .........

I've only ever changed a HX in a baxi back boiler once before,what a pig! Never again :mad:

Chr15 .Good job you were not around about 14 year ago when baxi (or supplier) torqued the bolts on the casting too tight more or less cutting right through the gasket .Would last about a year before giving up and flooding the house was doing about 8 a week.

552 piece of cake compared to changing casting on old baxi 572 or even worse a gloworm Majorca2 those where the days

I remember the bolts being tight and having to saw thru the injector tee to get it off but the hardest part for me was trying to hold the new HX in place while trying to thread the nuts onto it, holding something weighing that much at an awkward angle and trying to get the threads to line up and catch,...won't be changing one again.

For what reason has the boiler been condemned.

I normally suggest that people keep the old boiler ticking over as long as possible along with system upgrade to reduce gas consumption.

While most interested parties say a condensing boiler is 95% efficient, it is rare to get someone to admit a) this efficiency is not present at all times and b) saving in fuel AND repairs are less THAN what an existing boiler warrents.

Get a second opinion to establish if the back boiler really is dead.

Combis are good for me as I only repair boilers. They equate to work throughout the year. If I were fitting a boiler, I would have to consider an option where boiler breakdown is minimal (backboiler is such a boiler as it has very few components to break down)

Now I will wear my safety cap and await fallout from boiler replacement brigade.

DP said:
For what reason has the boiler been condemned.

I normally suggest that people keep the old boiler ticking over as long as possible along with system upgrade to reduce gas consumption.

While most interested parties say a condensing boiler is 95% efficient, it is rare to get someone to admit a) this efficiency is not present at all times and b) saving in fuel AND repairs are less THAN what an existing boiler warrents.

Get a second opinion to establish if the back boiler really is dead.

Combis are good for me as I only repair boilers. They equate to work throughout the year. If I were fitting a boiler, I would have to consider an option where boiler breakdown is minimal (backboiler is such a boiler as it has very few components to break down)

Now I will wear my safety cap and await fallout from boiler replacement brigade.

It was put in when god was a boy. Its an old Baxi boiler - installed in 1974

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back