Back box protectors

Sponsored Links
TBH I don't see the point. Just knock off the excess skim afterwards.

I agree. Been doing the job for an awfully long time. Never used something like this and (honestly) any plasterer will probably rip it out of the way when he chops out the box in the way that they do (bless 'em).

Last job I did, the plasterers completely filled in and finished plastered over three of my sockets and then pushed up 5 through ceiling cables for pendants (also nicely finished plaster over the lot.) :rolleyes:

This meant the ceiling had to be chopped about as the plumbers had already laid the pipes for the underfloor heating above the ceiling light positions.

Plasterers are little treasures - they should be buried
:evil:

TBH I don't see the point. Just knock off the excess skim afterwards.

Because it is easier and you get a better result if you can just skim over the box as though it was not there. Protecting it from being filled in with plaster saves a lot of time afterwards.

Sponsored Links
and then pushed up 5 through ceiling cables for pendants (also nicely finished plaster over the lot.
Stretch some string from one corner of the room to the hole in the ceiling, tie a knot exactly where the hole is, continue the string to the other corner on the same wall, tie two knots about an inch from the corner and then cut the string in the corner. You now have a triangle, one side the wall and two sides of string Keep the string away from plasterers, When ceiling finished use the triangle to find the hole.

OK it works single hamded on a floor using weights hold the string in corner but it should work with two assistants, one on each corner to hold the string into the corners.

Plasterers are little treasures - they should be buried :evil:
Buy them a drink and get them well plastered.......

Last job I did, the plasterers completely filled in and finished plastered over three of my sockets and then pushed up 5 through ceiling cables for pendants (also nicely finished plaster over the lot.) :rolleyes:

A friend of mine was once having a kitchen extension built, and when he got home from work on the day the plasterer had been he went to look at the work that had been done. Something seemed wrong. It took him a few minutes to realise that the plasterer had buried all of the socket boxes which had already been installed :rolleyes:

Still don't see the point in those protectors.

Surely they will just get plastered over.

I imagine a lot of plasterers will get confused.

Save your money.

The point is even if they get plastered completely over, you can easily knock the skim coat off them and the back box is then nice and clean. It makes the job easier for the plaster, and it makes it easier for oneself because you don't have to spend time digging the plaster out the back box.

Like I said I have been cutting corrugated cardboard to size and sticking them over the boxes and it works a treat. Plasterer is happy as he can just skim the walls without worrying about filling the boxes. You also get a better result as the skim is flat and even over the socket area. I do mark the positions on the floor with the height to the box so they are easy to find afterwards.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried these.

The plasterer I use is aware of the back boxes, and so skims up to them and slightly over so that his edge is smooth to the box.

Once its partially gone off, he uses a sharp tool to cut the plaster neatly around the edge of the back box and cleans it out, including the threads.

Maybe I just found a really good plasterer?!

Whatever next!

Can just imagine the OP, or anyone else, knocking out slightly too far over putting a big chisel dent in the wall, Mr. Bean style.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back