Back boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of installing the back boxes in new stud walls with rigid insulation in between the battens. I'm looking to install faceplates which aren't white - stainless steel etc, so I'm concerned that if I use the dry wall boxes, there will be a white plastic rim around these faceplates which will look out of place - I'm not intending to skim the walls (only filler in the joints)

The solution might be the metal back boxes, but I'm not sure screwing this into the insulation is secure enough - would I be able to silicon these onto the board instead of the screws?

Sponsored Links
would stud boxes be an option
https://www.superlecdirect.com/p-sb...MI8oXX8eLm6QIVGNtRCh0neAGDEAQYBSABEgKxR_D_BwE

sb1g.jpg

Probably not for all sockets. But this is too deep, I can just about squeeze in 35mm box for the normal.sockets. this 48mm wont work with the insulation unfortunately

Screw and glue - gripfill not silicone - two pieces of batten to the sides (or top and bottom depending where the cable enters) of the cut-out, then screw metal back box to the battens.

Sponsored Links
No, not yet fitted

Ah, that gives you more options.

Have you space to fit wooden noggins, horizontally, that you can screw metal boxes to?

You mention battens, do you really mean studs? If so, you could notch these and fit the boxes to these, though not favoured by all.

Ah, that gives you more options.

Have you space to fit wooden noggins, horizontally, that you can screw metal boxes to?

You mention battens, do you really mean studs? If so, you could notch these and fit the boxes to these, though not favoured by all.

Adding noggins is a possibility but a lot more work and insulation will need to be sliced where the new noggins will go. I am also likely going to double plasterboard due to acoustic benefits. I'm wondering whether this may affect the position of the back box or if I should consider the drywall boxes for an easier install. I just need a way to hide the white trim of the box against the faceplate of a stainless steel socket.

Adding noggins is a possibility but a lot more work and insulation will need to be sliced where the new noggins will go. I am also likely going to double plasterboard due to acoustic benefits. I'm wondering whether this may affect the position of the back box or if I should consider the drywall boxes for an easier install. I just need a way to hide the white trim of the box against the faceplate of a stainless steel socket.
Oh that's easy then.

fit the first board and mount a PB box then fit the second board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back