Back fill via radiator plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've fitted a new downstairs radiator and both it and the downstairs rad I've "spurred" it off refuse to get hot. I'm confident the pipes are connected correctly, and the new rad is fitted with a bidirectional TRV. All other rads and hot water work fine, so it seems highly likely I've got an air lock. It's a standard vented system with a fill and expansion tank.

Trying to clear the air lock in the usual way by turning off all other rads doesn't work.

I think I may need to back fill using a hose pipe (acknowledging care needed to ensure adequate F&E overflow arrangements). Unfortunately I didn't fit a lockshield valve with an integral drain cock to the new rad.

My question is this: to save me draining everything down again, is there any easy way to connect a hosepipe to the air locked rad via the radiator plug aperture?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered. Sorry if this has already been answered, but I did do a fairly thorough search.

Sponsored Links
If you turn both sides of the rad off then you can remove the blanking plug.
Check to see if water is comming out of the vent if it is then it shouldn't be air locked.

If you turn both sides off the rad off, open air vent then turn one side of rad back on untill the valve starts getting hot, then turn that one off and do the same to the opposite valve that proves that water is circulating, :)

Sponsored Links
In the end I didn't need to backfill, the airlock cleared on it's own overnight.

Seeme the pipes were correctly connected!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back