changing a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm going to change a towel rad for a normal one and just wanted some advice as to if i'm going about it the right way, the boiler is a worcester 28cdi combi.

turn off boiler and make sure filling key is turned off
turn trv and lockshield valve to off position
disconect valves from rad and drain water off
drain off some water from drain off valve on rad downstairs
remove valves and move pipes to fit new rad
hang new rad upstairs and connect valves to pipes
fill system up with water
bleed new radiator and refill with water until correct pressure

i would apreciate any help if this is wrong,also can someone tell me the correct presure for this boiler its about 0.8 at the moment this seems a bit low. thanks

Sponsored Links
U'r Spot on with the "Method Statement" when refilling aim for 1-00 Bar and all should be fine ;)

cheers for that will i need to bleed all the radiators or just the two i work on

Are you soldering new joints? If you doing them on compression / push fit just tighten the AAV on on the boiler and drain the rad your replacing. The rest of the water will 'hold' in the system. The less water you lose the better as it should have inhibitor in it which you want to hang onto.

If your doing it properly (soldering) you will have to fully drain upstairs (on the assumption your towel rail IS upstairs), refill and bleed all upstairs rads. Plus, you will need to add inhibitor as some will be lost in the drain down.

David.

Sponsored Links
Hi i'm going to change a towel rad for a normal one and just wanted some advice as to if i'm going about it the right way, the boiler is a worcester 28cdi combi.

turn off boiler and make sure filling key is turned off
turn trv and lockshield valve to off position
disconect valves from rad and drain water off
drain off some water from drain off valve on rad downstairs
remove valves and move pipes to fit new rad
hang new rad upstairs and connect valves to pipes
fill system up with water
bleed new radiator and refill with water until correct pressure

i would apreciate any help if this is wrong,also can someone tell me the correct presure for this boiler its about 0.8 at the moment this seems a bit low. thanks

I would drain system down to underneath rad you are working on first - before you "disconnect valves from rad and drain water off". Then you eliminate any risk of a leak/spurt appearing whilst working on valves and then you don't have to also drain the rad you are working on as it drains as part of the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back