Replace rad valves - best method

My apologies. Turn off with an adjustable spanner. Quarter turn.
So I went ahead and did it without touching the isolation valves on the boiler, didn't see your message Elkato.

I partially drained the system. This was my method:
- turn off boiler and thermostat
- turn off both valves on all rads and note turns on lockshield
- release pressure on bleed valve (I did this on the closest rad I was working on, as rad was off the wall for decorating)
- changed TRV and lockshield valves

Then I refilled the system, don't think I did it in the correct order...I would appreciate any comments?

- turn boiler back on
- repressurise boiler
- open all rad valves, starting downstairs (fully open TRV, lockshield to required number of turns)
- bleed all rads, starting downstairs
- run heating for 15 mins
- rebleed all rads

I will put in some inhibitor shortly. Any comments guys?

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with that. I take it you did drain the rad that was getting the new valves and then de-pressurised the system using the valves or did you fd o that with the bleed valve? If so then that must have taken a while?

All done now though and all working and hot?

Nothing wrong with that. I take it you did drain the rad that was getting the new valves and then de-pressurised the system using the valves or did you fd o that with the bleed valve? If so then that must have taken a while?

All done now though and all working and hot?
The rad that was getting the new valves was already off the wall, so yeah I just undid the valve I wanted to change slowly, caught all the water in a paint tray. Took a while to de-pressurise.

All working and hot. Now to re-balance and add inhibitor...the next fun stage!

The learning continues.. thanks for all you help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back