back of house - Leaning Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , i have looked at the back of my house and noticed that the chimney brickwork on the roof is leaning by approx 6 inches to one side over the entire length of the chimney (about 3 foot), also the wall from gable to about 6 feet under looks slightly bowed out , it is a terrace house and the next door neighbour has the same problem , but he has his rendered ( good idea)?, does anyone have an idea what has happened and what needs to be done if anything?? the house is 2 world wars old,

Sponsored Links
Just to save the big lads from having to knowck on your door, I'll ask on their behlf.....

.....any pics?

old brick chimneys usually lean.They go towards the prevailing wind. It is because the cold wind causes acid flue gases to condense (more) on that side and they attack the mortar, which gives way slightly and the chimney leans with a distinctive curve.

Best thing is to demolish the chimney.

If you have stopped having coal fires it will probably not lean any more.

a builder said to me it needs to come down and 7 courses of bricks under need to come out and be replaced, otherwise could cause problems one day, and leaving it , a surveyer would rip the sh*t out out it if i sold, and could lose up to 5k on price??

Sponsored Links
Do you use the chimney ?

If not get it taken down, get a few quotes in if you are not doing the job yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back