Back to back hinges on 18mm MDF panel + layout question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Built in wardrobes. What's the best way to place wardrobe doors back to back on a 19mm (veneered) mdf panel without shifting the hinges up/down. The problem is of the hinge fixing screws getting in each others way if the hinges are fixed on opposite sides of the same panel.
My idea, is to use m4 csk bolts, with the female section of an interscrew, that had the head cut off, joining them (the hinges) inside the panel.
Alternative is to fix 2 mdf panels B2B and use standard 0° crank hinges, which would be wasteful on materials as I'd be burying 2 sides of oak veneer in the panel construction.
Or is there a better way?

Other tricky one is in the pic below (not to scale), the wardrobe will be fitted in the shaded area of the room, and there's an alcove that measures 580W x 300D. Don't want to have dead space behind the wardrobes, could set that part of the wardrobe back into the alcove, client has indicated that they would like some kind of pull out system, bringing the contents of the cupboard into the room. (they currently have a freestanding clothes rail which sits in the alcove, it's so overloaded the wheels get stuck in the carpet when you try to roll it) :confused:

View media item 27151

Sponsored Links
I was planning on using the dual hinge with the offset to share an 18mm panel, I just don't have faith in a 7mm screw holding them in, doors about 1800ish, 450 wideish, 18mm mdf.

Sponsored Links
I've done it several times with 3.5x16 screws, the second hinge plate you fit you will notice the screw pulls a little off line as they hit teh first screws but its not a problem.

Jason

I would not risk it , can you not fit a second 18mm panel? Or hinge from each side?Can see no advantage to having a pullout system and won't be effective over carpet as there will be too much movement, it would have to be mounted on the wall and costs a few £.

I may fit a second panel, will have to do a 'hinge stock check' as the price of the material for the second panel may be cheaper than buying in 8-10 of the half overlay hinges.

Being an alcove, if I made the doors all flush, that last one in the corner would be a 900mm deep wardrobe from front to back! So any sliding system would have to cover a lot of ground before the clothes became accessible.
So I was thinking to set back the wardrobe by the alcove depth of 300, and building an open fronted box that fits just inside the carcass, and hang it using a couple of bottom fix runners and a couple fixed near the top. Like an upright 'coffin' that slides out and has a rail at the top and couple of fixed shelves at the bottom. Wacky sounding but doable (I think).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back