Back to bare wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to take an old self made window back to bare wood. I have used a hot air gun to start with and will finish with paint remover.

But it seems they have used emulsion as an undercoat on some parts and putty as a filler in others.

How can I remove them ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just rub the emulsion down with sandpaper. Obviously be careful with the hot air gun near the glass. The putty is just more waterproof than filler, and can be left; but if you remove it, then use exterior filler on the outside.

Thanks but they have used putty to fill a gap between two part of the frame about 1 cm wide and then painted it. To take it back to bare wood I need to remove the putty without damaging the wood either side and inside the gap. I am not sure this is possible.

I cannot post a picture as the upload does not seem to be working

Sponsored Links
What ? The upload or the putty ? I have tried hacking it out but it just damages the wood.

I have never heard of it but is there a way of softening the putty ?

The putty. I don't know of anyway of softening it, that's why I suggested leaving it in there if it wasn't causing a problem. There seems to be an issue with the picture upload at the moment, so try again tomorrow.

WP_20170219_002.jpgFinally managed to upload a picture . You can see the thin green line between the bare wood and the strip of white emulsion. This seems to be a recess which the "builder" (not a carpenter) filled with what I now think is filler.

I did read the hot air gun can soften putty and tried it but just began burning the wood side.
Maybe there is an alternative way of disguising it if I cannot get it out but he has bevelled it in the recess so not level and is well stuck to the wood.

I really want all bare wood but this strip of hard filler has me beat as every way I try I seem to damage the wood but make little difference to the strip.

So I can wax, stain or oil it and see the grain. Here's a couple of rooms I have done earlier ........... There were as rubbish as the one I am working on now.

Attachments

• WP_20170201_011.jpg
    WP_20170201_011.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 89
  • WP_20161221_005.jpg
    WP_20161221_005.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 76
  • WP_20161221_001(1).jpg
    WP_20161221_001(1).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 86
Yes it does sound like a Dremmel will at least cut it back without damaging the wood as it will cut more carefully than a hammer and bolster which I was using. Thanks

So I can wax, stain or oil it and see the grain. Here's a couple of rooms I have done earlier ........... There were as rubbish as the one I am working on now.

You won't be able to do that in the damaged area. It needs filling and the filler will not give you the finish you want.

If you have patience you should consider chopping out the bad, and splicing in new wood. Easy with a multi cutter, and ok with a decent chisel. You fix in the splice after remiving the wood, applying a hardner with either mitre bond or goriila glue.

Once the splice is in, sand back (its normal to raise a splice above its required height) and finish. You will see a slight glue seam, but that is the lesser of the evils.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back