Backbox size for USB socket plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Anyone know if it’s ok to fit sockets with USB ports into a 20mm backbox when the installation instruction says backbox should be 30mm.

I am supplying my own socket plates for partial rewire and noticed 20mm backboxes were installed in the wall. Electrician says it’ll be fine, is it true? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Box depths are normally 25mm or 35mm.
If the instructions require one thing and you have something less, then problems are inevitable.

Some USB outlets will fit into 25mm boxes - plenty will not.
Even for those that do, 25mm is likely to be difficult and require very careful placement of the cables.

The likely hood is that they won’t fit!!

You can get usb sockets for 25mm boxes if you look in screwfix.

Maybe not meet fancy requirements though!

Sponsored Links
Ah, you guys are right, the boxes are 25mm, so only 5mm short from the instruction requirement.

Most backboxes are 3-5mm below surfaces but several are flush with wall. If I remove the 25mm box, chased it a bit deeper so that it's at least 30mm from surface, will it be ok then? Getting him out again will cost another £200+ I think.

There is probably a good reason why they have fitted 25mm !

You could have a go if you want though and see.

Well in modern houses 25mm and they will sit up against breeze block

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back