Do socket faceplates have to connect flush to backbox?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am doing some work in the kitchen and upgrading the electrics at the same time. The electrician is currently chasing in cables for new sockets.

I am a little concerned because he has just put the backboxes and cables in for 1st fix before builders skim and put kitchen in. However, I have noticed the backboxes screwed in are a little deeper that the wall and this is before tiling and skimming. This means the backboxes will not be touching the sockets/switches apart from via long screws - is this OK? I estimate the gap to be up to 2cm!

What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Yes. It's fine.

Why would you think it not and
how difficult do you think it would be to have the boxes perfectly flush or protruding 1mm. after the wall is finished?

Phew - great.

I don't know why I thought not - which is why i panicked and asked!

I guess every other time i have seen it, the backboxes were cut in after skimming and cables chased in then filled/bonded. And each time it ended up being flush with the skim.

I was only concerned about tiling because it added to the gap. Are the screws generally longer anyway?

Sponsored Links
A small gap is acceptable on a plaster/tiled wall which is basically incombustible.

A 2 cm gap does seem excessive though. Could the boxes be replaced with deeper?

A 2 cm gap does seem excessive though. Could the boxes be replaced with deeper?
Are you suggesting that the boxes should be fitted so that they will be proud of the plastering (or moved) when tiling is to be applied?

I think he's just suggesting that the next size up boxes would just bring the box edge a bit closer to the wall.

I don't think it's particularly worth doing unless you can stand a bit of aggro. Nothing to worry about, it just happens.

That said, when boxes are too deep, very often the plasterer can't plaster round the boxes perfectly, and there may be gaps showing when the faceplate goes on.

Even more worrying is when the tiler hasn't got a decent edge to work to, again gaps could occur.

I would also check all the boxes are at the same level, that can be incredibly annoying if they are all over the place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back