Backbox not deep enough for socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a socket in my house - above the kitchen cupboards - which was never screwed in to the backbox (I know, shocking!)

It never previously bothered me, but I went up there to screw it in the other day and realised why it was never done - the backbox is not deep enough to accept the socket face!

So, since I don't fancy putting a deeper backbox in (it's in a really awkward place and I've never done that before), can I:

- get a slimmer socket face? Is this something I can get from Screwfix/City Electrical/other electrical factors, as I'd like to get it done tomorrow?

or, alternatively, since I never use it:

- connect the ring together there and put a blanking plate over? What would be the preferred way to do this, a (suitably rated) chocblock?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
can I:- get a slimmer socket face? Is this something I can get from Screwfix/City Electrical/other electrical factors,
Yes, although it will likely have a thicker front while the back will be shallower (unless the back box is something out of the ordinary).

Fine by me. So I just ask for a socket with a shallower back on it? No special names or anything?

Sponsored Links
Most plastic faced (non slim line) have about the same depth of internals that sit in the B/box.

Metal faced are the deepest.

If the sockets in the rest of the prperty are different you could try a swap.

Is the box really too shallow or is it poor postion of the cable in the box causing trapping when you attempt to do the socket fix?

If you dont use it, and because a mis match in a room of sockets looks like a pigs ear, I'd fit a blanking plate and just join the cabling with connectors, 30 amp ones.

I have come across countless installations in South Manchester with Crabtree sockets with plasterdepth metal boxes behind.

Maybe it was a trend in the seventies or maybe it was just one man going round at that time doing houses in this area, I don't know...

I'm not sure how he did it. Me, I'd be pooing myself every time I IR'd the RF wondering whether I'd get a SC, or a pressure fault tripping an RCD.

Mind you, if he did that, he probably didn't IR anything did he? ;)

With the power off, measure the depth of the box. If it's < 25mm, then you'll need a spacer as suggested.

Maybe the box is crammed with conductors?

Recently we redecorated the kitchen, even with 32mm boxes I managed to pierce the insulation of the live core when screwing a socket back on!! :(

Eeh ya bumsy clugger!

No, I did that when I was an apprentice...very embarrassing! :oops:

Best bit was I had only switched the ring main off by pulling the fuse as I was only releasing the sockets from the boxes. Got a bit of a surprise when the 30A fuse blew as I replaced it
(though I was using the techniques I use at work replacing it quickly)

Same situation in some ex council houses in Widnes Cheshire 16 mm plaster depth boxes for single sockets but the socket faces where made by Nettle. The cores are literally cut to length with no slack on them and no CPC sleeving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back