25mm depth backbox not deep enough for faceplate

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have 25mm backboxes in the wall

But the faceplate that I have is one of those ones with the USB connector on so its abit deeper.

With the cables inside the backbox the faceplate won't fit on because when you push the faceplate on, it pushes the cables in (as per usual) but it just springs back because there isn't enough depth.

I've already got the faceplates (rookie mistake I know) so was just wondering if there was like something I can install behind the faceplate so that it just sticks it out abit more to give that extra depth required to ensure its not all just getting crammed in there.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Ahhhhhh yes that looks like exactly something that I was thinking of. But the only thing is that it looks like where the faceplate actually goes in only brings it out like a few mm, as it seems its on 2 different levels. But yes exactly something like this. Does it make any difference if its for lightswitch vs a faceplate that you put sockets into? Thank you

Providing its not one of those completely flat accessories, then chances are, some careful dressing of the cables might help it go on. An annoyance, yes, but in a lot of cases take your time and its do-able
What make is the RCD accessory?

Sponsored Links
The Schneider spacer linked to by RandomGrinch will gain you about 9mm so your 25mm back box effectively becomes 35mm which should be plenty. A possible problem is that the shape of the spacer at the corners might not match your faceplate which will still work but might look a bit unsightly depending on your level of fussiness.

In which case you can look to remove the back box from the wall, chisel the hole suitably deeper and then put the back box back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back