Backfill internal drain pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old clay drainage pipe was replaced with a new PVC pipe underneath my hallway. The hallway floor was removed and the ground was dug up in small sections. The new drainage pipe was put on a bed of shingles and then once the pipe was in place, it was covered in more shingles. The ground originally had hollow core slabs before damp proof membrane, insulation and screed. Can I simply pour concrete (or cement?) over the shingles to essentially backfill the gap in the hollow core slab that was broken through? Or do I need to put something first like ballast or some plywood before concrete? Please see the photo of one dug up section to see what it looks like currently.

IMG-8208.jpg

Sponsored Links
My old clay drainage pipe was replaced with a new PVC pipe underneath my hallway. The hallway floor was removed and the ground was dug up in small sections. The new drainage pipe was put on a bed of shingles and then once the pipe was in place, it was covered in more shingles. The ground originally had hollow core slabs before damp proof membrane, insulation and screed. Can I simply pour concrete (or cement?) over the shingles to essentially backfill the gap in the hollow core slab that was broken through? Or do I need to put something first like ballast or some plywood before concrete? Please see the photo of one dug up section to see what it looks like currently.

IMG-8208.jpg
You have concrete floor beams and not easy to repair. You are going to have to try and fix a bottom shutter beneath that floor, by slotting it under, pulling it up and either screwing through any available concrete or suspending/clamping it from above via S/S threaded bar etc.

Either way, it would be wise to poke some rebar down into those hollows when about half full with conc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back