Compaction pipe backfill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

Im laying a new pipe run under my kitchen floor for a sink and dishwasher. Old clay has been removed. And was badly cracked!

Heres the issue.

I only have 100mm of backfill coverage at the top of my run over my 110mm pipe. This is because we have dug the kitchen floor up and lowered the ground subsoil for a new concrete pad further down to accept insulation and screed. This puts the pipe at risk using a whacker plate..

Im thinking i should hand tamp this with a metal stomper i have and take it easy. Theres 100mm concrete, 100mm celotex and 50-60mm screed going over it. This will take it to a depth of 350/360mm

So far i have hand compacted the 10mm shingle pipe bedding and built it up in layers. Do you think i should stick to doing this and only whacker plate other areas away from the pipe run if needed?

Simply put i dont have the invert depth at my lower end to be able to change it. Im keeping it at 1:40

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Evening ian.

Ok, il take it easy then. Il stick to hand compacting with the stomper and use the whacker where its really needed. I suppose the fact its shallow means it wont need much anyway as long as its done carefully in layers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back