Backlight gone on TFT?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bah! My tft's just gone dark! You can just about make out the image on the screen if light is pointed at it.

It's a viewsonic ve150mb. I'm guessing a new backlight might fix it?

It's a fairly oldie, but has a sharp pic and no dead pixels so I'm reluctant to bin it if I can fix it fairly cheaply.

I'll open it up and have a poke about, anything to be wary of, regarding potential fried body parts?

Sponsored Links
Backlighting is usually provided by what are essentially thin flourecent tubes.
They are supplied with a VERY HIGH voltage, at a high frequency. These voltages can give very deep "Spot burns" on the skin that hurt like hell and leave a small hole that can take ages to heal up.so unless you are happy working with such things DON'T... :idea:

OK, got the 2 tubes out. They are bright and white, no sign of burn or being darkened. Do they turn black when they blow?

Inverter made by fsp group, part# 3bd0006410, are they interchangable with other models? can failure of these be visually identified?

Sponsored Links
The tubes will almost certainly be OK as long as they are not physically damaged. They are fed by the voltage from the inverter output ( very high )
The inverters are prone to failure and can be replaced but you need the right one. They look exactly the same wether working or not. There is no easy way to test them other than by replacement

Just found this...

http://www.monitoronsale.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=900255B

Thanks for the info and links. I don't think I'll bother ordering one from the US due to postage costs, and it will cost about £25-£30 for the invertor anyway. You can get second hand screens for that at the local computer fair.

I found some decent DIY replacement info from that link, and I'll tuck the monitor away and keep my peepers peeled for a spare part or cracked monitor on eBay.

Or I could make a projector :cool:

Don't think I have a wall big enough though :(

Back