Redecorating- how to tackle dark painted skirting and picture rails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partner and I have not long moved into a lovely 1930s semi. The previous owners have painted the molded skirting and picture rails in three of the largest rooms a very dark navy. We would like to paint them white!

This is looking like a mammoth task, and just looking for advice to best tackle it…
At the moment I’ve chosen part of a door frame to try out the old paint stripper and sanding method…. This patch alone has taken a long time and I am concerned how to tackle the skirting without having to pull up and potentially ruin the carpet. Given the dark colour it will need a lot of sanding right down to the bottom so not sure how to tackle that?
Would a light sanding suffice and 2 coats of white paint too?

Am I right in assuming the fact these are moulded make it a little more tricky? Maybe even best to just buy new? (Shame though, I’m fairly sure they are original!)

If you haven’t guessed, I am an absolute novice- any advice would be amazing. I hear a lot about heat guns but a bit reluctant to use these…but if that is the best way I suppose I can give it a go!

TIA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back