Electric Cooker replacement considerations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old cooker tripped up the RCD yesterday evening while using the oven and since turning it back on it looks like the oven function has stopped working entirely - as in, light still comes on, fan turns on, but no heat. I imagine the heating element has gone bust. The hob function is still fine, digital displays etc all working, just the oven that is gone.

Oh well, instead of trying to get this fixed I thought I'd treat us to a new cooker. This one must be at least 15 years old at this point (came with the house).

I'm looking for something fairly standard, I see modern ones are 9-11kW (ish). I believe my existing 32 Amp setup is fine and does not need updating. So the plan is to grab some 6mm cable and just do it myself!

NOW, I'm no electrician! I have done basic things like wiring double sockets, connecting lights, fixing a cut through hedge trimmer cable... etc. I obviously youtubed my way into a plan, and I now have a few questions regarding my existing setup vs what I see online - attached you can see my existing cable/terminal plate.

I decided to have a poke around first, make sure I had a plan for the new cooker. I am quite confused by that 3rd earth that I am holding in picture #3, it was connected to the terminal but the other end was just poking out! I am now concerned about plugging everything back in - what am I seeing here?

Attachments

• IMG_4982.jpg
    IMG_4982.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4983.jpg
    IMG_4983.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4986.jpg
    IMG_4986.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4988.jpg
    IMG_4988.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
i cant quite see , but did that earth connect to the metal box in the wall ?
is there a screw socket in the metal box in the wall

you can see the screw on this back box - used to earth the box

Our oven is well over 16 years old. It was there when we moved in 16 years ago. I have replaced the main element twice, thermostat once and lamp several times. Still cheaper than a new oven.

i cant quite see , but did that earth connect to the metal box in the wall ?
is there a screw socket in the metal box in the wall

you can see the screw on this back box - used to earth the box
Yes!! I had realised what was going on and just now read your comment, it looks like the screw might have been over tightened as it cut through the wire and left the earth cable loose (the end of wire came out when I unscrewed that screw)!!

That or just removing the plate forced the break!

Sponsored Links
I renewed my cooker, with the new induction hob, and then mother renewed hers, we realised in hind sight she had made an error since she had gone for touch controls, where ours has knobs. The induction hob is very fast to act, like gas, so no need to lift a pan to stop it boiling over, however the touch controls were slow to use, with a knob easy to turn off, but her touch controls were useless, one it took to long to turn them off, and two in a wheel chair they were invisible. The same would be true for children, unless tall enough to look down on the hob, you could not see it was switched on, or where to put ones fingers to alter settings.

I have seen some better touch controls since, where you can see then from a low level, and there is a way to switch off fast, but do be careful selecting, if no power connected don't consider touch controls, you need to ensure visible to children so they know when switched on, and you can turn off with single touch so no need to lift pan.

Induction is great however, although some pans will not work, our stainless steel pressure cooker for example, needs to be magnetic, not just steel, if a magnet will not stick to pan base they will not work, even if made from steel. (stainless steel is not attracted by a magnet) but a test against kettle for speed, a 2.7 kW electric kettle boiled water in same time as a 3 kW induction hob with a pan and lid, compared with gas, where a 5 kW gas hob took twice as long to boil to a 2.7 kW electric kettle. In all cases same amount of water in pan and kettle.

I replaced the heating element in mine, element was £11 and would have taken about 15 minutes to replace. I say "would have", because I didn't realise at the time that you access it from a panel inside the cavity [4 screws, 2 spade terminals], and spent hours removing the entire oven from the cabinet. The disappointment on the Mrs' face when she realised we weren't getting a new oven was priceless :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back