1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

backup data locally and to the cloud

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dbaplaya, 1 Apr 2011.

1. dbaplaya

dbaplaya

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i need to backup my work data to a local automated drive i can plug in, and also have that data backed up to the cloud automatically.

Its a desktop pc we use as a server. 4 users in total.
    Anyone able to offer a good solution available?

thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. charlieandpip

charlieandpip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    zumo drive is pretty good for cloud storage - can be set up to do automatic backups as well I think....

4. joinerjohn

joinerjohn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm still not sure about cloud computing. Would you want sensitive data, stored online on some remote server, which could possibly be hacked?
    I know some people say this is the future of computing, but personally I'd want my personal files close. If my firewall detected a hacking attempt. I can physically pull the plug, connecting me to the internet in a matter of seconds.
    Anyone have thoughts on cloud computing? Is it as safe as they reckon? Or am I just being paranoid? ;) ;) ;)

5. evdama

evdama

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Microsoft have been wanting to put software applications like Office to 'cloud' it for years-they would "own" the softwre and you would 'rent' it.
    Total monopoly, total control and no nasty hacky people playing around with their activation devices and CD keys.
    For me the problem would be the reliance on a connection.A service outage would completely halt work.One group of houses out in the sticks is of no concern to the service provder but a big network outage in a large corporation would be a little more serious.
    As far as security goes,there is no total solution for anything anyway.
    The minute you hook up to the www ,you are at some risk no matter how well protected you think you are.

6. nickjb

nickjb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have a look at Dropbox. You have a folder on you PC and everything in there gets backed up on-line. You can set it up on multiple computers, share files, access stuff on the web. Really simple to use. I use it to share files between the laptop and desktop, too.

This is a referral for some bonus free storage (for you and me :) )
    http://db.tt/izJNqkM

7. peeky1323

peeky1323

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  8. Sponsored Links