Backup Generator Tobago

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
House in jungle in Tobago, so rather unreliable mains electricity. House is 110v except for cooker, drier (230v).
Bought a back-up generator (Honda 7500HG) which on paper would cope with most of house, and should be able to provide 110/230v simultaneously. However, when I tried it, it blew microwave & several lights. Generator has been checked over & is not faulty. Mains electricity was isolated before starting generator.
2 independant electricians have said that the reason is the generator is not powerful enough, and so I should buy a bigger generator.
This sounds a bit bizarre to me as I would think that a bigger generator is more likely to blow things up.
I wonder if anyone could suggest any possible fixes?
Thanks,
Pete

Sponsored Links
The more likely reason is that it was incorrectly wired.

Under capacity generator would trip out on overload or provide reduced voltage while ove loaded. Under voltgae would not burn out lamps but may damage over equipment with motors.

A generator that trips out on over load could produce large short duration voltage transients as the load is removed from the coils as the trips open. That could damage electronic equipment such as micro waves and energy saving lamps.

Burnt out filament bulbs would be a sign of over voltage suggesting maybe 230 from generator was connected to 110 mains. or 440 ( across two phases ) from a 230 generator was connected to 230 mains.

Thanks Bernard, that's what I was thinking, so I'll have to get another electrician in I think!
Pete

Sponsored Links
Back