Generator connection to house

All

Please find attached a VERYbasic layout drawing of my house circuits and some photo's

The house was fully brought up to standards 3 years ago, requiring some rewiring of the original house section (old rubber wire), new CU’s with RCD’s and trip breakers rather than the original wire fuses, and some new circuits.

Due to how the house has evolved and grown over the years (it is originally 1948) with many extensions and now stands at nearly 3000 sqft area, there are more CU’s than the std 3 bed house.

Without major rewiring the original fuse boards where replaced in the existing locations with new CU’s hence why we have 4 CU’s list as follows

A- Lighting in main house, etc, and main breaker powering board C to main extension inc boiler

B – RCD sockets for main house + breaker powering CU for board D (kitchen)

C – Main extension with boiler circuit

D – Kitchen inc oven and hob lights and kitchen sockets

My thought now is to break after the splitter shown with the circles X and Y, there would be interlocked sockets (i.e they can not be unplugged without turning off.

So power goes, turn off isolators, remove plugs which come from CU’s A and B (and also supply power to CU’s C and D) then plug into sockets X and Y which are feed by the generators 2 x 16A 240 v sockets

Does this make sense?

Sponsored Links
Other points I need to consider are generator location.

prefered location is marked on plan below.

It is good in that I can build a small lean,to against the end of the garage to keep the genny secure locked away and further add to its sound proofing, I would also extend the lean-to to be another log store.

But down side of this location is distnace from main board/Splitter location.

I esitimate 25 - 30m of cable would be needed and, but it could all be run neatly through the garage and then exit and run on the external wall of the house.

SWA cable?

This is in in constrast to the other location shown which is at the front of the house, the genny could be hidden behind shrubbs, but would require a lot more civils works to build a building, also cable would need to be run underground.

Maybe a lot of work you think for a back-up system, but when you consider I was given this genny and not to put it to some use is more of a waste.

I think the generator may struggle with all the circuits connected (if energised).

If you have circuits you want to run on the generator in the case of a power cut then it may be best to have a fifth CU installed and the 3/4 essential circuits moved to this.

You could run a set of tails via another Henly block (splitter as you call it) into a changeover switch (with generator connection) and then the new CU.

I think this has already been suggested but i'm not sure how else it could be done if there are essential circuits on several CU's.

EDIT: Just seen your post while I typed - board C/D aren't too near. :cry:

Although it may be possible to run boards C and D via your proposed generator location and have the c/o switch there instead. This would miss out board A and B though?

ie - A and B supply C and D via the generator and c/o switch.

I think the generator may struggle with all the circuits connected (if energised).

I think this has already been suggested but i'm not sure how else it could be done if there are essential circuits on several CU's.

I think coming back to my orginal question that this will be a back-up system for very limited use, so we are unlikely to be cooking chritmass dinner or powering the hot tub (if we had one)

SO as has been stated, there are quite a mix of essential circuits spread around a few Cu's.

thefore is it not just simpler to take off rom the Henley (Splitter)? And in effect give power to the whole house but using a bit of common sense not turn the oven on?

Sponsored Links
thefore is it not just simpler to take off rom the Henley (Splitter)? And in effect give power to the whole house but using a bit of common sense not turn the oven on?
It is easier just make sure others know not to go switching lots on!

If you have alot of power cuts then it may be wise to have it installed with a separate CU for critical circuits though.

It is easier just make sure others know not to go switching lots on!

If you have alot of power cuts then it may be wise to have it installed with a separate CU for critical circuits though.

Well given it is just me and OH, that is a simple opperation. She can just about start her car, let alone a generator.

As orginal post, not many power cut, but when you are given a nice nearly new generator, it makes sense to put it to some use even if that is as a standy by use.

I work in the petro chemcial off-shore industry and when ever a peice of kit is isolated everyone puts on their lock who will work on it, maybe I should giver her, her own lock and clasp LOL

But back to my latest question, would I still need a 100A rated switch or plug (isolate before disconection) after the henly box (Splitter)?

But back to my latest question, would I still need a 100A rated switch or plug (isolate before disconection) after the henly box (Splitter)?
If it's before the CU's then yes, you still need a 100A rated c/o switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back