WIRED IN GENERATOR AS BACK UP POWER SUPPLY.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering the use of a small generator to provide power to the house when suffering frequent power cuts. I was considering the use of a 3 position (mains- off -genset) isolator between the meter and CU but have been told that a fully automatic changeover unit is available.

I remain concerned about the earthing requirements, a figure of 200ohms has been advised but i have not found it yet in the regs.

Anyone got any comments or ideas?

Sponsored Links
Just done a job with a generator.....although generator supplied via hire company.

Manual Change Over Switch approx £170
Automatic Change Over Switch £2300

Depending on your purposes.....I would go for the manual change over (price does it for me)

Earthing arrangements can get funny as you will using the earth supplied from your mains intake although when using generator supply you will have to use a rod......(I aint 100%, as I dont deal with them all the time)

I'd like to mention that up here in rural Minnesota, USA, when the power goes out it can sometimes be a few days before the power company can make it around to turn the electricity back on (they hit the big population centers first). So a lot of people around here have their own generators.

An all-too-common problem facing the utility is people who wired their change over switch wrong. If you don't do it right, you'll backfeed electricity into the power company's cables, causing a hazard for the linemen who will come by to work on it. For this reason they'll always test the lines to make sure nobody's backfeeding power before they start working, and if they find that someone is it will delay the work until they can figure out which house it's coming from.

So double-check your work and make sure your change over switch is hooked up right. You don't want to make it any more difficult than it has to be to get your power turned back on!

Sponsored Links
In Ireland, if you are found to be backfeeding the network during a fault you will be billed for the time we spend trying to find the source. I have seen bills of €3500 and €4000 going out to domestic customers. Don't pay it and you supply will be terminated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back