Wiring a generator for backup power

Running a modern TV off a generator is not a good idea, the output is not smooth enough, you could end up damaging your TV.

Wotan
Or other electronic items, I've had several builders ruin tool battery chargers by running off a genny.

Sponsored Links
Most generators will have an earth termial, any earth rod should connect to that point.

Loss of PEN is rare, but this could be reason for loss of supply, so PME/TN-C-S earth should not be connected to an earth rod.

200 ohm is considered maxium over that can be unstable.

Sponsored Links
Yes I have not personally had problems, although I have noted some generators are not good with droop or voltage regulation, but are within limits.
Many many years ago we did music for a beach party using a 1.5KVA genny, basic set-up of 50W transister amp, tape recorder and a few coloured bulbs, nothing flashy but as the afternoon spread into the evening the music started sounding distorted, The amp sufferred and was sent back to the manufacturers (FAL) and they replaced the push-pull driver transformer but it , we put it into a local repairer who gave it a clean bill of health. We replaced it with a later model. It never did sound right again until I stripped out the output stage and replaced with commercial 50W module.

We always blamed running it on a genny but truth be told we never did know.

Why ruined?
Only examined the first one I was asked to look at & several components on the circuit board were fried. Just did a sniff test on several others over time without opening them & they all smelt the same. Must admit I have not seen one for a few years now but I think most people around here know I don't do work anymore so I'm not sure if it is still a problem. But as Wotan & Sunray also feel it is a problem then it might be.

Last edited:
Loss of PEN is rare, but this could be reason for loss of supply, so PME/TN-C-S earth should not be connected to an earth rod.
Except ...
1) It's not allowed to switch the CPC - so unless you use a plug & socket for the mains supply to the building, then the CPC needs to remain connected when using an alternative power source (which will require a local earth electrode).
2) For Amdt 2 we were expecting a requirement to add a local earth electrode - so specifically requiring the PME/TN-C-S earth to be connected to a local earth electrode.
I think the only thing we can be absolutely certain of is ... drum roll ... it's not a simple issue :rolleyes:

You're allowed to switch the earth when you're using alternative supplies with a different earthing system. 543.3.3.101 / 537.1.5 also worth looking at 551.6.2 not a DIY thing I'd have thought

I stand corrected :whistle:
But in the absence of skilled operators and a formal testing regime, I'd be "a tad wary" of having a switch in the system earth. Seen too many failed switches, and a failed contact in the system earth would most likely go un-noticed as it wouldn't stop anything working which seems to be the typical layman's way of finding out that something's broken.

Only examined the first one I was asked to look at & several components on the circuit board were fried. Just did a sniff test on several others over time without opening them & they all smelt the same. Must admit I have not seen one for a few years now but I think most people around here know I don't do work anymore so I'm not sure if it is still a problem. But as Wotan & Sunray also feel it is a problem then it might be.
Aren't even most of the small cheapy generators inverter based now? This should have improved output quality generally over some older gennies (in theory).

Do modern inverters provide a smooth sine wave AC?

Or a sawtooth?

a decent eg viktron sine wave inverters produce a smooth sine wave, ive put s scope on one.
Is that typical of a cheap off the shelf generator such as the man in the street might buy from from Aldi or B&Q?

I have to admit I don't like the idea of diodes or switches in the earth bond, however boats use diodes, and EV charge points use relays.

Likely best is go TT, but one has to do a risk assessment, as said rather complex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back