Bad electrical design

I have not tested, so unsure what would be the result in fitting diodes in the earth connection?
If you mean the effect on function of a boat-side RCD (or whatever you prefer to call it), I can't see diodes being of any practical consequence, since they would present a very low impedance at voltages more than a volt or two.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If you mean the effect on function of a boat-side RCD (or whatever you prefer to call it), I can't see diodes being of any practical consequence, since they would present a very low impedance at voltages more than a volt or two.

Kind Regards, John

I tested this when I did the installation on the narrow boat and it all checks out fine. Using diodes is an alternative to isolation transformer for preventing galvanic corrosion.

I tested this when I did the installation on the narrow boat and it all checks out fine. Using diodes is an alternative to isolation transformer for preventing galvanic corrosion.
Indeed, either of those approaches should do the job and, as I said, the diodes should have no noticeable effect on RCD function.

Kind Regards, John

Since we are told we must fit two 30 mA at 40 mS RCD's in series with boats and caravans, can't really say it is wrong to fit two in series, even if a little pointless, you could always change garage one to 10 mA.
Fitting a 10mA RCD in the garage won't provide any discrimination with the 30mA one in the house - UNLESS it's a mild bit of leakage causing nuisance trips of a 10mA RCD. Any contact for which RCDs are intended to provide protection against would trip both as the current would be higher than the 30mA trip level.
Furthermore, if there is to be only one RCD (or RCBO) protecting the garage supply, it would (once in a blue moon!) be 'more convenient' for it to be in the garage.
I can vouch for the fact that it's 'kin annoying to have an RCD for the garage in the house. When my brother had a new garage built, the sparky had previously (at my brother's request) used all RCBOs in the house CU so at least only the garage circuit goes off. Unfortunately there's part of the run in the house that needs RCD protection or I'd suggest to my brother that he moved the RCD protection to the garage.
I went in the garage a while ago and found "no lights". Checked in the house and the RCBO had tripped and wouldn't reset. I tried turning off all the MCBs in the garage so I could reset the RCBO - but unless you are lucky to get a working light before hitting on the faulty circuit*, you simply don't get any indication whether the supply has tripped again. It was 'kin annoying to say the least :evil: I'd say that's p*ss poor design.
* Yes, I know it's possible for a fault to trip the RCD even with the MCB to the faulty circuit off.
... second is we should not need to protect from some one braking the rules.
The problem is that most of the users do NOT know the rules - to them a cable is a cable and if the plug fits the socket then that's all that they need to know. So not so much people breaking the rules, but people ignorant of what the rules are that they could be ignoring. There is a balancing act between over-regulation, and under-regulation exposing people (not necessarily the same people as those ignoring the rules) to reasonably foreseeable and easily mitigated risk.
Put another way, if "Mr BIY expert" wires his own van with no RCD and has a fault - then other maybe not even associated with Mr BIY Expert could get a shock from the metal skin of the van. Similarly if he uses a non-RCD protected supply for a properly wired van (many people plug them in at home) and (for example) the cable gets pulled and the live conductor contacts some metalwork through cut insulation - bearing in mind that the metalwork (eg skin panel) might not be bonded sufficiently to ensure operation of overcurrent protection.

Sponsored Links
In an ideal world you would be correct. Meanwhile, back on planet earth you need to consider those who don't know what they don't know.
I assume you are familiar with this old one ?
And when out as a pedestrian, do you a) look before you cross the road even at a crossing, or b) assume every driver will do the right thing and walk out without looking if the green man is lit ?
Or put another way, there can be a big difference between what should happen and what does happen. Hence why regulations are written to cope with an imperfect world. In a perfect world every driver will drive safely and carefully, in the real world we have rules for how to deal with those that don't. In the perfect world everyone would be fully qualified and not need BS7671 to be able to design a safe electrical system, in the imperfect world there's a lot of rules there to guide those who can only "wire by numbers".

I don't walk out until I am sure that the car is going to stop even when the green man is lit.

When driving I do not cross a junction on green without looking to see if there are cars approaching which don't look like stopping.

When on roundabouts I do not assume that those approaching it will give way.

And I am trying very hard to wean myself off the habit of assuming that a driver who flashes his headlights at me when I am joining a road means he is letting me join in front of him or cross his path, no matter how much it ends up pi**ing him off.

So you agree with the principle of making allowance for people who don't follow the "rules" for whatever reason. Yet you seem reluctant to apply that same principle to the world of electrics :confused:

Not at all.

I was pointing out that no allowances should be made to people who don't follow the "rules" for whatever reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back