Bad Idea

Sponsored Links
BG have taken a bad Chinese idea and made their own version of it:...
It would be interesting to know if (and, if so, how) they have managed to make it compliant with the relevant regulations. I wonder if it is CE marked (I can't really see how BG could avoid the need for that .... assuming, of course, that it really is a BG product!).

Kind Regards, John

From another online wholesaler said:
This is the power module - universal socket, 10A rated, in white finish. It takes 13A type plugs, but it is only 10A rated, taking max. 2400W in total.

The Universal style sockets are not passed for installation in the UK as they do not meet British Standards (due to design requirements in making them accept plugs other than the standard UK 3-pin plug which the standards are based around).

It is therefore not a good idea to overload the socket, but at the same time these sockets are great for those who travel from abroad and need to charge their travel items, since the socket is rated for 110V and 230V use, max. 10A rating and 2300W loading.
So basically it is not suitable or safe to use, but use it anyway?!
If they do not meet British standards why are they being sold in the UK?
Why do chinese electrical products all have a rating of 10A? What good is that when the socket accepts 13A and 16A plugs?

Had this CRAZY idea from BG to fit on Saturday. Basically just fits into a 2G euro plate (like that socket) and it's exactly what it looks like, a black plastic square with a 20mm hole and a stuffing gland. Came with a strip of connectors and a flying earth lead. No thought whatsoever. Refused to fit it and told my boss to get something better. Would look proper gash. Stupid wholesalers.

Sponsored Links
45Amp?! Ideal for making up a polished chrome cooker outlet! Though the 20mm gland might be a bit small for a 45A flex. What application were you trying to use it for?

45Amp?! Ideal for making up a polished chrome cooker outlet! Though the 20mm gland might be a bit small for a 45A flex. What application were you trying to use it for?
It was just for a towel rail in a bathroom. I guess my boss had just asked the wholesalers for a 'BG chrome flex outlet' and for some reason, they sent that. The price is a joke for what it is

Under which Directive? Domestic plugs and sockets are outside the scope of the LVD, in fact outside the scope of any Directive, and therefore must not be CE marked.
Well I never! I never realised that. Thanks. In that case, I probably should have asked which (if any) Standard(s) the product claimed to be compliant with.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back